Chapter 5: Amanda's story

I wake up in a good mood and feel ready to share my hard past with the other competitors

I wake up in a good mood and feel ready to share my hard past with the other competitors. If I tell them how bad things were I could gain their loyalty, respect and they won't make the same mistakes the kids at school did, plus I believed that theses guys have good hearts, even Heather, I think she might be looking for the same thing I am just one friend, that's all I want, but it would be nice to have more. I gathered everyone  in first class.
I just did what Clair would do, which is dive right in.  "As you all know I'm shy and don't have a lot of friends" I said. "Specifically my team asked why you all would judge me, well between elementary and middle school I got bullied by my school mates, they judged me because I was different from them, I didn't follow trends, I'm shy and I'm just my own character, I can't help it but that's what they didn't understand... everyone else followed the crowd just to fit in, I wanted to fit in, but not because everyone else was doing the same thing. It was hard for me to get my schoolmates to see that we didn't all have to be or do the same thing."
"That's hard to understand, like why would people bully a pretty girl like you? It just seems immature and rude" Noah said.
"So how did you deal with it Manda?" Gwen asked.
"My sister was there with me, we became really close after losing our mom, which made me happy because we weren't always close, we used to be the same person but were very different now, anyway when my sister discovered that I was getting bullied she stood up for me because... you mess with one of us you mess with  both of us, and then you have to put up with my dad and chef. So with that being said, it was like Clair was bullied too, in some sorta way. She even said that if I'm bullied she's bullied and if she gets bullied then so do I and it's true, like I said you mess with one of us you mess with both of us."
"Wow... I'm so sorry that you had to go through with that" Heather said. "I want you to know that you're awesome no matter what other people say."
"Thanks, but I'm not finished yet, my sister wrote a song for me, she was worried about me when I got all emotional, I wasn't suicidal or self harming but I told her I felt like I wanted to die so she thought if she gave me my own song I would feel better. I'll play it for you.. if you want?"
"Yes!"'everyone said. I went to my room and grabbed my keyboard and the stand. Dad came looking for me and found me walking back to first class with my keyboard. "You ok Amanda?"
"Yeah.. the competitors just wanted to hear the song Clair
wrote for me in eighth grade."
"You don't have to do that."
"It's okay I want to, I'm not too afraid anymore."
"Ok.. mind if I watch baby girl?"
I shook my head, "no I don't mind" I said, we walked in and I set up my stuff then began.

When I finished  everyone looked liked they were touched by the song. I continued my story.
"My sister is one of the most important people I have in my life, I'm so thankful to have her, she and my dad are my two favorite people in the world" I saw everyone had smiles and bright soft eyes, well except for Courtney. I asked dad if he could pack up my stuff, I had tears in my eyes I ran back to my room. I didn't want anyone to see me crying, afraid... once again that I looked weak and being judged by that. I collapsed on the bed and began sobbing the song reminded me of how poorly I was treated. I wish I could be stronger. A minute later I heard a knock on my door.
"Baby it's me... please open up"
I got up and opened the door, dad sat down with me on the bed and held me in his arms.
"You're a very brave girl baby, the competitors are very nice kids, they're worried about you, they begged me to come find you when you ran off so quickly."
"I'm not brave I'm afraid of being judged again and I still have my stage fright." I buried my face in dad's shoulder.
"You are brave, you faced your biggest fear"
"I was still nauseous, I miss her" I said. Dad nodded showing understanding.
"So do I"
"I'm talking about Clair ,  I wish she was with us right now"
After I calmed down I went back to my team, they were happy to see me, they said they loved me for who I am and I didn't have to change or be somebody I'm not.
"No matter what happens Amanda, we'll always love you" Noah said. I smiled and sat between him and Izzy. I closed my eyes and thought about Clair Even though She wasn't with me physically she was here with me in spirit, we have matching lockets that we got on our fifth birthday we both have a picture of us inside. Same locket, same picture. That is how I keep her with me. anywhere I go she's with me as long as I have my locket.