Broken

Ben's hand reached over for mine as my fingers rested on his bicep.

He winced as he moved the bruised arm, but he took my hand in his and I pulled away, holding the hand that was closer to me. He relaxed back into his position.

His hand was warm and soft, yet calloused. I felt a spark of electricity in our palms. "Ash, look at me," His voice was slightly hoarse but I did as he asked.

Damn. I'm in too deep. His eyes instantly connected with mine, sending all logic and rational thought out the door.

"Don't look so upset, love. I'm fine." He gave me the lopsided smile that had always left me breathless.

"What happened?" I asked him, the tingling in my hand still apparent.

He sighed. "Well, I was pulling out of the driveway and I didn't check the blind spot. A four wheel drive hit the driver's side." He said.

"Who's drive way?" I whispered now, remembering the blonde bimbo who'd just walked out of here.

"Renee's. Aren't you curious about your car at all?" He laughed for a moment before groaning in pain at the sore bruise on his side.

"I don't give a fuck about my car Ben." I said quietly. I looked up to him this time and he looked at me curiously.

"There's something about you, Ashlyn." He whispered. I reluctantly removed my hand from his as I gazed at his neck. It was covered in hickeys.

"Get better soon," I said simply before standing up. "Wait, why are you leaving?" He looked taken back and I felt my walls building up again.

"Danny wants to see you." I turned and left, feeling my heart clench with regret.

As I walked out, Danny stood up and walked inside. Nikki came over to hug me but I stopped her. "I'm fine." I said emotionlessly. I hated showing when I was upset, she knew I was and the guys probably figured something was up, but I didn't want to be another sad case. I didn't want to be another girl who'd fallen for Ben Bruce and gotten her heart stomped on.

I wouldn't be one of them.

------------

Nikki had taken me home after she had seen Ben. James and Sam all asked what was wrong but I told them that it didn't matter. They didn't seem to push it, and I resumed my place on Sam's lap. He was warm and it gave me comfort knowing that he was there, that they all were.

Once we had gotten home, Nikki dropped her keys on the counter and got out a tub of ice cream and two spoons. We sat on the couch in our pajamas and messy hair pulled back watching music channels for a while until she tiurned to me. 

"He's fucking around with that blonde bitch, isn't he?" She said quietly. I simply nodded. 

"He totalled my car, made me fall for him, then it all got thrown back in my face." It was times like these that I was glad Emily had a two week long camp trip with her girl scout guides every year. I loved the girl to pieces but these two weeks was were I didn't have to be a mother.

"Well he clearly doesn't deserve someone like you, Ash. He's still living the rockstar life, all he wants is a good fuck, a beer and some smokes." She rolled her eyes and I studied her for a moment.

"What's going on with you and Danny?" I wondered, hearing the hostility in her voice from her last sentence.

"He told me he doesn't want a relationship, and that he's been seeing someone else. But he won't let me go, he won't let me get over him so we can be just friends. Everytime he's here we-"

"Alright, keep it PG." I laughed a little and she smiled.

"It's like he's a drug and I'm an addict. I can't get enough of him. In bed, his smile, his voice, the way he walks. Just everything." She sighed  and we both shovelled more ice cream into our mouths.

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. I gave her a confused look as we both stood up and wandered to the door. We looked through the peep hole and a huge smiled appeared across my face.

"Open it!" Nikki said with a grin. I did and Sam and James stood at the door with smiles.

"Evening, ladies. Care for some chocolate and pizza?" Sam winked, holding a large pizza box.

"And vodka?" James held up a bottle and I scrunched my nose up, since I only drank bourbon.

"How lovely, come inside won't you, good sirs?" I bowed and Sam chuckled before closing the door behind him.

We walked into the lounge and I turned the music up a bit as we set up.

"Started the ice cream without us, love?" Sam asked sitting beside me on the floor. I nodded.

"It was called for, I swear. So what are you guys doing here? It's friday night." I questioned and he shrugged.

"Thought you and Nikki could use some company after what happened today." He stated simply. I nodded. "Thank you for earlier by the way." I smiled and he slung his arm around my shoulder, pulling me in for a brotherly hug. "No problem, kiddo."

--------------------------------------------------------------

It was three days later and Ben was released from the hospital. I'd be conned into going by Danny, who had told me that Ben was acting strangely after I left his room.

So we sat in the lobby, waiting for James and Nikki to help Ben out of his room. Danny and Sam were either side of me. The elevator dinged and I looked up curiously, only to find Ben in his normal clothes, looking normal aside from the blue grey bruise on his arm and forehead.

"Hey, mate." Danny and Ben did that 'bro hug' thing and we all said hello before wandering out to the carpark. Danny's car took James and Sam and Ben's small suitcase, but there was a huge amp in the back so Ben came in Nikki's car with us. 

I watched him wince and as sat down and I wasn't sure whether to feel sorry for him or be angry. Looking at his messy bed hair and dazzling eyes made it a hard call to make, despite how much I wanted to be angry. 

ADTR was blaring on the car ride home and I sang along with Nikki this time, ignoring the fact that Ben was in the car and trying to stay comfortable and positive. Once we'd arrived at Ben's loft, we all stepped out.

The outside of the building was a brick and looked square. We followed Ben into the lobby and into the large elevator as the boys made small talk. Once we reached the highest floor, we got off and followed Ben to the door on the right. He unlocked it and we went inside.

For just one person living here, the place was huge. "How many rooms do you have?" I asked curiously. "Four." He replied, sinking into the large couch in front of a tv.

The lounge room, living room and kitchen was one big square room. There were two hallways. One must have lead to two rooms since I could see two doors, and the other had two, one being a bathroom.

"Do you really need four rooms?" I laughed, sitting beside him on the couch. He shrugged.

"Not really." He seemed less talkative than usual and I shrugged it off to the fact he'd been in hospital for a few days.

"Well, we should get going." I said as Nikki walked over to the door.

"I'm throwing a party here tonight if you girls want to come." Ben said casually, not peeling his eyes away from what was on the tv screen.

"Sure, what time?" I asked over my shoulder.

"Nine." He said.

We said goodbye to the boys and left. It was two in the afternoon, so we had plenty of time to get ready. I wondered how much hoes would be there looking to hook up with Ben, and how many guys would be there for me to hook up with to get over him.