Hold Your Breath, My Dear

"Really?" Ben stood and I raised an eyebrow.

"Yeah." I could feel the heat in my cheeks rising and he chuckled.

"Come on, sweet cheeks. Let's go for a walk."

I followed him out the front door, everyone asking where we were going. Ben simply replied 'out' and we left.

We walked into the elevator and I felt nervous. "Where are we going?" I wondered curiously. Ben shrugged.

"Not sure."

I rolled my eyes.

"Typical male response.." I scoffed and Ben glanced at me with a lopsided smile before we left the elevator.

As we stepped out, I noticed we weren't on the ground floor, but the roof instead.

"Wow." The stars in the sky took my breath away with their beauty. The glistened happily and shone above us.

For a moment, I forgot who I was with, until Ben's hand found mine. I was drawn back to reality and I smiled at Ben who returned one.

We walked a little until I saw a fold out chair over looking the city. Ben sat and I stood awkwardly for a moment, causing Ben to chuckled.

"Well, come here, love. I won't bite." I sat down on his lap and shuffled a little to get comfy. "Unless you want me to." I said seductively in my ear.

Shivers were sent down my spine and I instinctively leant into him, his warmth taking away the bite of the wintery air around us.

"Do you come up here often?" I asked softly, gazing at the city lights below us.

I felt him shrug. "Sometimes. It helps me clear my head." He admitted seriously. I had somewhat expected a sarcastic reply.

"It's beautiful." I stated the obvious as we looked out over the view.

"Mmm."

I looked up at him, my head resting on his chest. "What's wrong?" I wondered, sensing something was off.

"Tonight just didn't go as planned." He admitted, running another hand through his hair.

I frowned, a sinking feeling in my stomach.

It was silent for a few minutes. I didn't want to push him for an explanation, and all I could think of was that he was disappointed he didn't get laid.

I suppressed a disappointed sigh and bit my lip.

"Sorry." I mumbled, shifting and stumbling to my feet.

I was cold the instant my skin left his heat. I didn't want to feel like this, feel like I had done something wrong when I hadn't a clue what it could be.

"What for?" He mumbled, staring off at the distance.

"Not being like the others girls." I shrugged, and when he didn't reply, I decided to head back downstairs.

I felt the disappointment set in as the elevator doors closed and Ben didn't follow. I had to remind myself, yet again, that this wasn't a romantic love scene from a romance movie.

I reached Ben's loft again and let myself in. Nikki was fast asleep on Danny's lap on the couch, and I noticed that everyone else had left.

Danny looked up as I walked in. "Where's Ben?" He asked simply and I pointed up. "The roof."

"He took you up there?" He asked, a slight hint of disbelief in his tone and I nodded. Maybe I just imagined it.

"I can't drive, and neither can she. Are you sober?" I asked stupidly, making Danny scoff.