Curiousity

I woke up the next morning with sore eyes and a slight headache, but nothing a couple panadol wouldn't fix.

As I trudged out of my haven which I called 'bed', I had a quick shower and climbed into a pair of black skinny jeans and a white Drop dead shirt with a zombie cat on it.

I walked down the hallway to hear snoring. Nikki's room was next to mine, but this was coming from the lounge. I wandered in, only to find a very asleep James and Sam lying across the couches.

I chuckled and went into the kitchen, pouring them each a glass of water with some panadol. I put them on the coffee table and began making bacon and eggs for everyone. I assumed Danny was here also, in Nikki's room.

By the time I'd finished cooking, I heard a big yawn and shuffling come from the lounge room.

James trudded in sleepily, stretching and wiping away sleep from his eyes. He smiled when he saw me. "Morning, Ash." He greeted me with a friendly hug and I chuckled.

"Hey, breakfast is served and you guys can shower here if you want. Towels are in closet in the hall and the bathrooms to the left of it." I told him, sitting down with my bacon sandwich.

He grinned. "What would we do without you, love?" He took a plate and loaded food onto it before taking a seat across from me.

Not long after, Sam wandered in the same way James had ten minutes before.

"Morning." James and I greeted him at the same time and Sam winced.

"Geez, guys. Keep it down, would you?" He ushered us quietly and I held back a giggle. James wasn't bothering to hide the smirk on his face.

Suddenly, my phone buzzed and Not The American Average began playing. James sent me an approving look but Sam cringed and covered his ears.

I quickly answered, seeing it as Emily's caller ID.

"Hey, Emmy."

"Hi, Ashy. Lisa's sick. Could you pick me up please?"

Lisa was the friend she had the sleepover with.

"Sure, Emmy. I'll be there soon." I hung up the phone and was about to put it down when it began ringing again. I answered again.

"Hello?"

"Ash? It's Ben. How's it goin'?"

I was more than a little surprised to hear Ben's voice on the other end of line but found myself smiling.

"Hey, good. What's up?"

"I was wondering if you could pick me up." He asked simply.

"Sure, where abouts?"

I stood up and grabbed my wallet and keys from the bench.

"The street name is Kensington road." He said, and I could hear the occasional car driving past in the background.

"Okay, be there soon." I hung up and looked to the boys who were eating.

"I have to go pick Ben and Em up. Tell Nikki and Danny to not roam around the house naked." I grinned and they agreed.

I hopped into my car and started the engine, pulling out of the small driveway. I figured it would be easier to pick Emily up first.

When I pulled up to her friend's house, she was already out the front waiting with Lisa's mother.

I got out of the car and thanked her for letting Emily stay over. She said she was no trouble and she hardly is.

We drove off, Emily in the back seat. She was busy listening to her ipod and colouring in the back.

It wasn't long before I was driving down Kensington Road in search of Ben. Sure enough, I found him wandering out of the deli with an energy drink.

I beeped the horn and he spotted me, crossing the road and getting into the car.

"Morning, Rockstar."

"Morning."

I turned to Emily in the back and she spotted Ben, sending him a quick smile and a wave before returning her attention to her colouring book.

"How was last night?" I asked him.

He shrugged. "Same old. Cheers for picking me up, love."

I shrugged. "No biggie."

After a minute or so with just the radio playing, he cleared his throat.

"Is she yours?" He wondered. I shook my head.

"Little sister." I smiled and he looked slightly relieved.

"That's cool. Do you live with your parents?" He asked as we pulled up the driveway.

"No, we live with Nikki." I told him with a small smile. He just nodded but I got the impression he was curious.

We all got out of the car and went inside.

Danny and Nikki were fully dress (thankfully) and sharing a plate of food whilst sitting on the couch watching MTV with the boys. Cameron had come around and was enjoying playing air guitar with Sam to Guns N' Roses, Paradise City.

I laughed and Ben simply joined in by snatching up the remote and using it as a microphone. Emily began giggling and clapping her hands beside me, watching the show.

Danny and James were taking pictures and videos on their phones and Nikki came over to greet Emily with a hug.

"Thank you, York! And good night!" Ben shouted into the pretend microphone. Emily applauded them and he gave her a wink.

"Emmy, this is Ben, Cam, Danny, Sam and James." I inteoduced the little girl to the boys and she smiled widely. "Is Ben your boyfriend?" She whispered loudly to me, causing the others to laugh.

I chuckled and scratched the back of my neck embarrassed, shaking my head. "No, Emmy." I ruffled her long blonde hair and she skipped to her room to put her stuff away.