Chapter 18

I can't read the unknown emotions in his eyes. So I just stare and wonder why he's here. Why did this stranger follow me when nobody else did? Wait, what if I'm over-thinking this? Maybe he didn't come after me, maybe he just kind of followed me because he was already heading here. That has to be it.

At that realization I break eye contact with him. I look to the ground, for anything else to look at besides him. I don't need to be staring at him when he has other reasons to be here. But what if he is here because of me? What if he's going to kidnap me? Or kill me? Or sell me into slavery on the other side of the world in the coldest reaches of Siberia, where no one can hear me scream?! Wait, does Siberia still exist?

I jump and almost let out a scream as the man, now sitting beside me on the bench wakes me from my thoughts by clearing his throat. I wrap my arms around myself and feel my rapidly beating heart against my chest. He notices and smiles sheepishly. Oh my gosh, that smile! Wait, no, I can't admire his smile if he's a creeper! What is wrong with me?!

"Sorry, didn't mean to scare you. I got tired of standing," he says quietly. He looks out at the playground. "Plus you looked lonely. I hope you don't mind."

I shrug my shoulders, too cautious and scared to do anything else. Besides, anything could be a signal to him to go ahead with his dastardly plans, whatever they may be. I scoot over the tiniest bit, hoping he doesn't notice. I sigh in relief when his head turns the opposite way. He watches as some kids come from the houses, probably to play on the playground. I hear their happy voices and see their cute little smiles.

Well, with other humans around to witness, I don't think he'll kidnap me now. My tense muscles slowly relax. I don't get 100% comfortable next to him though, because after all, he's still a stranger to me.

He starts shifting on the bench. My leg muscles tense again, prepared to flee. I carefully watch him out of the corner of my eye. But he only looks as if he's trying to get comfortable.

"So.... Can I, um, ask why you came running here? Are you alright?"

I chance a quick peek up before answering. He's looking at me, concern covering his features. I immediately glance away, fervently hoping he didn't notice. "I don't know," I whisper.

He scoots closer. I instantly panic. He all but told me he followed me. I guess my time is up, even with the child witnesses. Goodbye cruel world! Goodbye JenJen! Tell my cat I love her!

"Are you okay? What's wrong?"

He turns fully to me and hesitantly reaches a hand out. I flinch away and he stops. It's quiet. I look up and see him smiling. Why is he smiling?

"I'm not going to hurt you, you know."

"Really?" I ask skeptically.

"Yes. It's not like I'm going to kidnap you or something."

I blush, then frown. He's a freaking mind-reader! I knew there was something going on with him.

"Anyway," he continues, "I just wanted to make sure you were alright. You left so suddenly. No one knew where you went or what to do. Your friends were getting frantic before I left."

"Oh." I don't know what else to say. Besides that, I know Danny could care less if I ever came back. We're always at odds, he and I. So he's probably living it up right now.

"Do you want to talk about it or...?" he asks hesitantly. "Should we just go back?"

"No, I don't want to go back. Not yet. I just want to be away from all that, and him."

He nods and we lapse back into silence. I'm glad he's not pushing for answers. He hasn't even said anything about me not answering his earlier questions. That's a first for me.

Finally I decide to break the silence as we watch the children return home. There goes my safety net. "Danny is my cousin's friend. We got along at first. But we've slowly devolved to today. This was the worst fight we've ever had. He just made me snap. I couldn't take how he acts towards me any longer."

"So you've fought before.... About what?"

"Stupid things mostly. He thinks it's funny to make me mad."

"Huh," he says. "What an odd pastime. Is that what happened today?"

I think about it for a moment. Is that what happened? "...No, not completely."

I stop but he silently encourages me to continue. "He thought a prank would be funny. His pranks usually make me a tiny bit mad. But today... today I was beyond pissed. He used random strangers in his 'prank.' That's what pushed me over the edge."

The man is thoughtful. "Hmm. He played this prank that involved strangers. Which brought you to physically fighting with him."

"Yes...." I say almost questioningly. Did I not just tell him this? He was there too so he should definitely know already. "Why did you hold him back anyway? I almost had him."

He looks at me weird. "You shouldn't be fighting a guy. I didn't want you to get hurt."

Well. This... is awkward. I think things just went back to the 'he's-going-to-kidnap-and-sell-me-as-a-slave' stage. Only people who work in the black market would say something that strange to someone they didn't know. Like, don't damage the goods!

He must have noticed what he said was weird because he quickly backtracks. "I mean, guys shouldn't be hitting girls. So we got in there to stop him! But if you'd seen just him being held back you'd have gone for him, so we had to stop you too."

He keeps rambling and I smile. He's flustered, it's cute. He suddenly stops when he realizes he's said the same thing twice. I laugh and he blushes. He smiles a small smile and rubs his neck.

Then my phone rings. Black Veil Brides blasts out of my pocket. I feel my face pale. I only have that ringtone for one person, Andy. I shakingly hold the phone to my ear after answering.

"Hello?"

"Katelyn, where the fuck are you? I've texted you and you haven't answered. I called Jennie 1and she said you ran away! What the hell happened?!"

He is so angry right now. I guess I should've checked my phone. I'm surprised he didn't come find me.

"I, um... me and Danny got into a fight," I whisper. "Then I left."

"You left!? WHY?!" he yells. This is not good. Things don't end well when Andy yells. The last time he yelled he threw his phone at my head. I ducked at the last second, but it clipped me and left a bruise. But who knew what would happen this time. We weren't together so he couldn't take his anger out on me.  He'd keep it in and let it fester until I got home.

"I-I needed out of there...." I'm so quiet I don't know if he heard me. I'm just scared right now.

I feel a hand on my arm and jump. I forgot the man was here. "Hey, are you okay? You're shaking."

How did I not notice that?

"What the hell was that? Are you with another guy?"

Oh no, Andy heard him! I was most definitely screwed now. I'd rather be sold to a fat, old, bald man right now than wait and have to face Andy's wrath. That's how bad he is.

"No, it was no one! One of the kids at the park. His friend, he fell!" I say hurriedly. I jump up and quickly leave the man on the bench. He looks hurt. My heart aches.

"It better not be anyone. I told you before, you're mine. No one touches you but me, goddammit," he growls. "Now get your ass back to Jennie and don't leave her side again!"

He hangs up before I can even reply. I put my phone back in my pocket and walk faster. I can see our bus from here. I guess I didn't run that far. I would totally suck at running away.