Chapter 17

I am shaken awake by several pairs of hands. I know it's not my band because they know not to touch me when I'm sleeping. They learned that the hard way. Except Jennie, she already knew.

I slowly crack my eyes open and see some very odd-looking faces that I don't recognize. They're all covered in makeup and have different hairstyles. I don't know these people so why are they touching me?

They don't notice I'm awake so they all shake me again. They're gonna get it now. I quickly lash out and catch them by surprise. There are 'ows' all around as my hands, and feet, make contact with several body parts. I just lay back down and laugh.

"That wasn't very nice," the one who seems to be the leader says. He has a fake-sad look on his face as he looks down at me. I simply shrug.

"It's not nice to wake people up."

"Well if we'd have known that would happen we wouldn't have listened to him," a guy with longer hair says.

I raise my eyebrows at him. "Him who? Someone told you to wake me up?"

"Yeah, Danny did," the leader speaks again. "He said to wake you up because you're supposed to be at check-in in 10 minutes."

"When will that stupid boy ever learn?!" I yell as I get up to change. The guys in front of me jump out of the way quickly. I stomp to the extra bunk and pull out my suitcase. I throw it on the floor and yank it open to find a different shirt. I leave my suitcase on the floor and go to the bathroom to change. I can barely hear those guys as they talk about me quietly.

"Dude, she's pissed," says a new, deeper voice.

"I can tell," the leader says. "Rick, go pick up her suitcase."

The longish-haired guy complains. "Why do I have to? You do it."

"You're the one who agreed to wake her up so you do it. The sooner she's ready, the sooner we can go. She's kind of scary when she's mad."

I hear grumbling and a low thump as, I assume, he puts my suitcase back in the bunk. I smile to myself as I finish my own makeup. Then I bang the door open just to make them jump. It works.

The few who haven't spoke yet have their hands over their hearts and everyone else is staring at me wide-eyed. I stand in front of them, hand on hips, and smirk. They stare back suspiciously.

"Well? Let's go boys. I need to find Danny," I say evilly. They just look at each other, and follow behind me.

We make it backstage a few minutes later. The guys have been quiet the whole time, except to introduce themselves as Motionless in White. So as soon as they see Danny, they make a run for it. Smart boys. I'm starting to like them. They know what's good for them. But I wouldn't be surprised if they stay around to watch.

As soon as I'm close enough, I yank Danny around. Then punch him in the arm. He cries out and holds his arm. Then glares at me. I glare right back.

"What the hell was that for?" he grinds out through clenched teeth.

"You know exactly what! Why would you make some strangers, no offense--," I yell.

"None taken!" Chris yells back from afar. See, I told you they'd stay.

"--wake me up, when you know full well what happens when someone wakes me up!"

We are now face-to-face, yelling at each other. Everyone else is quiet, watching us. I don't know how they're not used to it by now. I mean, Danny and I fight at least every other day.

"It was supposed to be funny! But you don't know how to take a joke!"

"I don't know how take a joke? Seriously?"

Before he can say anything else, I punch him in the stomach. His breath whooshes out of his mouth and he bends over, holding his middle. I look up, smiling. Almost everyone around us is shaking their head and smiling. Jennie is the only one who goes to help Danny stand up. But she only puts a hand on his elbow. I can tell she doesn't really want to be by his side.

But as I walk away, I feel a whack to my knees and I fall to the ground. Now my face is burning from the impact. I slowly get back up and face Danny, fuming. He's still leaned over a bit but has the ugliest smirk on his face. I just don't know how Jen ever became friends with this jerk.

Right as I'm going to lunge at Danny, two pairs of hands hold me back. I turn to my left and see a short, tan, longish-haired man. He's cute, and a stranger to me. On my right is a very tall, very tattooed guy who also has longer hair. He's cute too and once again a stranger. What is with all the cute strange guys today? I must be dreaming because I've never in my life been in this kind of situation. I really hope I'm not dreaming though.

"Whoa girl, calm down," the short guy says. I pull harder against their hands. I look up and notice Danny is in the same situation. I stop struggling when I realize the guy on Danny's right isn't exactly a stranger, even though the male on his left is. He has short, spiky hair and a sleeve covering his left arm. Alas, he's also good-looking.

Finally, after a considerable amount of time (in which practically everyone on tour came to surround us) Danny and I are calmed down and released from the four strangers. They all stand together off to the side. The one I ran into earlier, who was on Danny's right, stands next to the short one who held me back. He leans down slightly to whisper in the other man's ear, both of them looking at me. I blush and look to Danny, who is whispering with Jennie. Great, now I'm jealous. I want somebody to whisper to.

The crowd surrounding us is quiet as we stare each other down. Ethan and Romeo appear from the crowd at my side. They give each other looks before moving even closer. Yes, someone on my side!

"What happened now?" Ethan whispers.

I glance at him before looking at Danny once again. "He had strangers wake me up. So I punched him. Then he kicked me. But before we really started fighting, those guys (I point to the ones who held us back) came and pretty much stopped us." When I point at them and glare, they stand up straighter and look around uneasily.

Romeo glances at the guys curiously. Then recognition dawns in his eyes. "They're Pierce the Veil. Why would they stop you? It's not like we know them."

"I know! So I don't know why they did it," I half-whisper, half-yell. The people closest to us back up a step. Cowards. "Besides, if they hadn't come along, I would've beaten Danny so bad. Ugh!"

Romeo and Ethan nod before Ethan sighs. "Yes we know. But you know my mom wouldn't like that."

"But she wouldn't like how he treats girls! Sometimes I think he must be adopted. There's no resemblance between you two whatsoever and your mother is too sweet to have given birth to that," I scoff.

Romeo laughs. "That's true."

I smile, until Ethan brings me down with what he says next. "Did you know he broke up with Jennie? That's why I wonder why she's over there with him."

Suddenly I push past them and go right up to Danny's face. The crowd goes deathly silent. He looks at me a little nervously. Jennie stands back, closer to the crowd. Then I punch Danny in the nose and a crack echoes around the area. Danny collapses on the floor, holding his bloody (hopefully broken) nose. Nobody moves as I turn and walk away.

As soon as I'm out of the crowd I run. I run past the buses and out the gate. I keep running until I'm out of breath. Which isn't that long. I look around and I'm in a suburban-type neighborhood. There are houses surrounding this little park that I slowly make my way to.

The playground isn't much but it has seen plenty of use. There's a small walking trail that meanders through the houses to a small wooded thicket. It doesn't look very long. But at least it's quiet and secluded here.

I sit down on the only bench, facing the playground with the trail behind me. I sigh. I know I shouldn't have hit him but it happened before I could stop myself. He just got on my last nerve today.

My thoughts are interrupted by a slight cough. My eyes refocus and I look up. I'm almost scared it's Andy because I have to look up a long way. But I meet his brown eyes and breathe again. It's the guy I ran into, who also held Danny back. Why is he here and why are those gorgeous eyes looking at me like that?!