Chapter 8

The crowd cheers and yells as we appear on stage. I wave and smile hugely. Jennie starts out slowly then plays faster as Romeo and Danny join in. Finally I start singing the words to “One More Night.”

                We play five more songs. I jump around and sing my heart out the whole time. My cheeks hurt from smiling so much. Finally the music fades out completely and we wave goodbye to the crowd. I follow the others backstage and see a flash of blues eyes and an adorable smile. Has Andy been watching us the whole time? Wow. Just the thought makes my smile come back full force. I watch as Andy makes his way over to my side and walks with me.

“That was pretty awesome. You looked like you were having so much fun,” Andy says.

“Thanks. I was. Just feeling happy I guess.” And the reason for that? Hmmm….

“So what are you doing now?”

“I think we have to meet those sponsor people again.”

Andy looks a little crestfallen. “Oh. I was going to see if you were going to stay and watch us play.”

“Maybe after I get done? If you’re still playing.”

“Okay. But I’ll see you later anyway. I have to go get ready now.” He gives me a short, sweet kiss before leaving.

I walk away, touching my tingling lips. I start smiling again. My mind is filled with thoughts of Andy. So I don’t notice when Lee steps out of the shadows.

“Hey Katelyn. You were awesome tonight.” He sort-of smiles.

“Oh hey Lee. Thanks.”

“What’re you up to right now?” Why does this conversation sound so familiar?

“Well, I have to go meet with the people I did earlier.”

“Okay then come find me when you get done.” He comes in for the kiss again but I pull away fast.

“I really have to go. Bye.”

I walk away as fast as I can without running. Inside my head I am freaking out. Lee totally knows what Andy said! He must have seen us. Now what do I do? I feel as if I was leading Lee on, especially since he knows there’s something going on with Andy and I. Well, if there was.

I look for everyone, freaking out the whole way. I finally find them on the bus. They’re all sitting around, having drinks. But as I sit down, drink in hand, John and Taylor get up to leave. Awesome.

“Thank you very much for the drinks and, once again, great job tonight! We loved it, absolutely loved it. We’ll see you again soon.” Taylor shakes hands with us and leaves, John right behind her,

“Alright guys, you were great,” Gary says enthusiastically. “We’re set for next year with them. Now get some sleep. Tomorrow is another busy day.”

He too leaves and everyone turns to me. We looked at each other before Ethan spoke. “What happened to you? You were right behind us then you weren’t. And you missed everything.”

I take a sip of my water to stall. “What constitutes everything?”

“He’s just kidding,” Jennie puts in. “Those two were pretty boring and mostly talked to Gary.”

“So tell us about Andy. What exactly happened?” Romeo smirks.

I turn to Danny and shoot razor-sharp daggers at him. He only shrugs at me. If only those eye-daggers were real! He’d be so dead by now. Like a million times over.