Chapter 2

A little over a year later, and here we are. Thanks to hard work, and heartbreak. Maybe just a little luck too. So talk about the best day. We’re going to play our home state of Kansas today. Then tomorrow we’re getting a one-day break. Right now we’re riding in our bus, which was sort of provided by the tour managers. Sort of meaning we’re paying half and they the rest. But we’re okay with it because we’re just plain excited about the tour.

After a few hours we pull into a place Jennie and I are familiar with: the Providence Medical Amphitheater in Bonner Springs, Kansas. It feels good to be home again after being away. We pile out of the bus and stretch. It’s a long drive from Minneapolis, Minnesota after all. We then proceed to set up camp where we’ll stay until we play later this afternoon.

As the day progresses we see the other bands wandering around. Around noon they all come back with chairs and drinks. Apparently someone made a liquor run. The next few hours fly by as we bond and have fun. In mine and Jennie’s case, we flirt a bit, being as we’re the only females on the tour. Which is also awkward sometimes. But it’s been two weeks and we’re getting used to it.

Finally our manager Gary comes by to tell us we’re going on in 15. Of course we’re first, being the newest of everyone. Still, we love it. We make our way to the stage and peek out from behind the equipment at the crowd. It’s still summer but the crowd is pretty big.

Rob, Steve, Brian and Jimmy finish up onstage as we wait. Then Dave motions to us. As soon as I walk into the middle of that stage, my senses are assaulted. I can feel the summer heat rolling off the crowd. I can smell the sweat and gross. My ears are thankfully only deafened for a second before I put my earpieces in. I feel for those people in the crowds. I really do because I’ve been there many times before. I smile and wave, blow a few kisses, and announce us as Through the Eyes of Another. Some people scream as Jennie goes into our first song.

*******************************************************************************************************************

Our set was awesome. I love playing to big crowds. But I love having a day off after a show. I am going to relax so hard tomorrow and just hang out with my family. Maybe go shopping or something.

But in the meantime I’m standing side-stage to watch Black Veil Brides play. I see their first song before catching Andy Biersack’s eye, waving and leaving. He quirks and eyebrow while slightly smiling and waving back to me. I go and help my band mates set up our small merch table. It’s also for our unofficial meet and greet.

Although it is fun to sell stuff too. Jennie and I like to pretend we’re running a store, like Hot Topic. Sometimes we just sit and watch as Romeo and Danny have contests to see who can pick up the most girls. We also like to tease Ethan about his shyness.

Today is not one of those days though. Today we are unusually exhausted so we sit around in the best piece of shade we can find. There isn’t many people when we first set up. But all of a sudden people come from nowhere and mob us.

They all want autographs and pictures and just to talk to us. So we sign until our hands go numb and take pictures until we’re half blind from all the flashes. But it’s all good. Finally the crowd dies down and they’re all gone. At least I thought they were. We’re packing our remaining items when I hear a slightly familiar ‘ahem.’

I turn around and see Luke, the one who started me on this path. I never thought to see this kid again. I glance at my band mates but Mara is the only one who heard him. The boys have no clue. They’re so dense sometimes.

I look back at Luke and he looks at me. I’m not mad at him anymore, or sad. I’m just… over him. I have no more to feel for this guy who I’d tried to help and love, but who had thrown it back in my face. I can’t tell what he’s thinking behind those blue-green eyes.

“You’re looking good these days,” he finally says. I just keep looking at him. The things I’ve wanted to say to him are now gone. I’ve said them through my music. But he probably hasn’t noticed.

“I liked the show. You were great. All of you. I just wanted to come by and see you. Maybe talk to you?”

I look past him at Jennie, who is whispering, I think, to Andy Biersack. Apparently he’s done playing. I wonder why he’s here. He looks at us, a weird look passing over his beautiful features.

“So? Do you want to or not?” I look back at Luke, who’s getting mad that I won’t answer or pay attention to him.

I finally decide to speak to him. “Why would you want to talk to me? You’ve had a whole year to do that.”

“Because I needed time! To think about what I wanted.” Now he wouldn’t look at me.

I can’t believe him and I don’t want to. He lost his chance back then. Suddenly Andy Biersack walks up and puts his arm around me. He even kisses my head. What is going on now?

“There you are,” he says. “I’ve been looking for you.”

I try not to be surprised by his sudden appearance but I think I fail. Luke looks between us suspiciously.

“Oh, uh, hi Andy. I’ve been here since we played.”

“My bad.” He smiles an adorable smile at me. “I forgot you told me already. So who is your friend?”

“This is Luke. Luke, this is Andy Biersack from Black—”

“Black Veil Brides, I know,” he interrupts me. “So, about us talking—”

He is then interrupted by Andy. “I’m so sorry but I have to steal her from you. We need to finish packing so I can take her out tonight.”

“Oh, but hon, I think I want to talk to him.” And I don’t know why, I want to say but don’t. I just smile at Andy.

“But baby you promised me.” He pouts and blinks his baby blues at me and I melt.

“Uh, you’re right. Okay, then just let me say bye.”

He smiles at me again before grabbing me in a big hug and full-on kissing me. He pulls away, smirks and leaves. I am dazed.

Luke can tell. “Well I better go so you can get ready for your date then. I thought we could talk and start things over.”

“You’ve never wanted to talk,” I say quietly. “So why now? You also said you wanted to start over but that never happened.”

I can tell he’s getting seriously mad now. But I can’t tell why. He’s always said we never knew each other and I think that has never been truer than now.

“I have to go Luke. We really need to finish packing. You said we were done, so we are. It’s both our faults you know, not just mine. So please, please, please don’t come see me like this again. You know how I feel about these things. Will you please respect that?”

He looks at me then walks away a short distance and stops. “You know what? I’m sorry I even came here.” Then he keeps walking.