Shields Up, Captain! Common Forms of Birth Control

Gordon McLean

You’re young. You’re hot. You’re unstoppable. At least you think so, right? Right.

Think again, buddy! Guys and girls can go through major troubles if they don’t protect themselves during sex. You could find yourself sleeping with some girl or some guy and the next month waking up to the news of an STI or a brand new baby boy or girl on the way. Congratulations!

Okay, if you thought your exams were tough, imagine hearing that! We have already talked about how to avoid STIs, but avoiding pregnancy is something we should be aware of as well. As guys, we’re part of the team that can make a baby, so we also need to know about birth control. And keep in mind that many of the hormonal based birth controls sometimes have bad effects on women’s health and won’t EVER protect you from the spread of STIs. You and your partner should do research on birth control. To get you started, here’s some crucial info on the most common.

ORAL CONTRACEPTIVE PILL (“THE PILL”)

It is one of the most prescribed medications. It is a small pill that women take every day that affects their hormone levels to prevent pregnancy. It is the most reliable form of birth control available, but only if taken properly.

The Pill fools the body into thinking it is already pregnant so the ovaries do not release eggs into the fallopian tubes. You need to trust the girl you are with to be really on top of taking the Pill every day. If you really want to be sure, use a condom.

(You should use a condom anyway to protect against STIs.) The Pill can be accessed from a doctor or health clinic and needs a prescription.

Pros

It is very effective if used properly.

There are a lot of choices, so if one brand has strong side effects on your girl, she can try another.

It won’t affect a future planned pregnancy. A woman who wants a baby can stop taking the Pill and then will be able to get pregnant.

Cons

It must be taken every day. Even one pill cannot be missed.

It takes a full menstrual cycle (a month or more) after she starts taking the Pill before it becomes effective. It does not prevent the spread of STIs.

It can cause negative side effects in some women, such as headaches and nausea.

CONDOMS

Condoms are the only form of really hands-on birth control for a guy—and they’re the best choice to protect against most STIs. Condoms are available from drug stores. Many clinics and sexual health centers have condoms available as well. Check out youth centers too. Some places will have them available for free.

Pros

They are something guys can use to be an active participant in preventing unplanned pregnancy.

They are effective against most STIs.

They are available in many places.

They can be used in the moment.

They are often available free in clinics and youth centers.

Cons

They must be used properly.

They can be damaged, punctured, or worn out.

You or your partner could be allergic to latex, although other materials are available.

FEMALE CONDOM

Female condoms are like a large baggy that goes inside the vagina. The penis can slide in and out of the baggy without allowing sperm into the uterus. Female condoms are available from drug stores or health clinics.