SEX and DRUGS (Rock 'n' Roll Sold Separately)

Thinking of adding drugs or alcohol to your sex life to “spice it up”? Consider the facts before you do. Sure, drugs and alcohol can make you feel good and boost your confidence, but they can also make you stupid. Everybody’s always telling us that sex is dangerous because of STIs, pregnancy, sexual assault, or even just losing your own damn self-respect. You don’t want to prove them right (oh yeah, and maybe ruin your life) by making one bad call. So just keep in mind that being drunk and/or stoned makes you less able to make healthy decisions and more likely to use bad judgment. Not to mention that, if you use too much over time, you can cause long-term, even permanent, damage.

Long story short: if you use drugs or alcohol, make sure you protect yourself and know the facts:

ALCOHOL

Alcohol can make you horny (or even hornier than usual) and less nervous. Sounds great, right? But it also puts you at risk ’cause you might do things drunk that you wouldn’t do if you were sober—stupid things like having sex without a condom or even having sex you can’t remember! Loosening up is cool unless you start making decisions you’re gonna regret, like cheating on a partner or sleeping with your best friend’s girl.

And let’s not forget that, even though booze may make you feel like a love-god, it is actually one of the leading causes of erectile dysfunction (your little buddy won’t stay hard). Besides, you may feel sexy, but do you look it? A guy who takes his time, pleasures his partner, and doesn’t drool all over the place is way sexier than you on your tenth beer.

DRUGS

Okay, so this isn’t going to be a lecture on drugs—okay, well maybe a short one. We all know that drugs are bad for you and can even kill you. You’ve heard it all before. So, quickly, here are the facts on sex and drugs:

• Just like booze, drugs can make us feel horny, brave, and confident, but they can also screw with our judgment and encourage us to do things we’ll regret.

• As with any drug, you may become addicted.

• Long-term drug use can mess with your health and your appearance. Nothing kills your sex life like looking nasty.

There is a crapload of different drugs out there, but here’s a look at some of the more common ones.

Pot and Hash

Pot (marijuana) and hash (or hashish) have the same kinds of effects because they come from the same plant. Many of these effects are the same as the effects from alcohol. Taken in small doses, the stuff can make you feel sexier and may even increase how long you can go at it. But (and you knew there was gonna be a but), smoking up even more can quickly begin to change that. Too much pot or hash can make you depressed. You may not want to have sex at all or worse—even if you can get it up, you may not be able to feel anything during sex. And that’s just short-term stuff. Long-term pot smoking can also make your body produce less testosterone. That means a lower sex drive, feeling depressed more often, and maybe even problems if you want to have kids one day.

Ecstasy

Ecstasy—or just “E”—can make you horny and feel like you have enough energy to have sex for days! Well, ecstasy is a stimulant, so yeah it increases your energy, but it also increases your heart rate and dehydrates you. That puts you in the danger zone for heart problems and overheating. Sex is already a workout for your body, so if you combine it with the effects of ecstasy, it’s like red-lining the RPMs on a car. Don’t get dead. If you’re gonna use ecstasy, drink a lot of water and don’t get too hot. Oh yeah, and this drug can also cause panic attacks and depression. And like all these drugs, overusing can stop you from getting hard. Ain’t nothing ecstatic about feeling really horny but not being able to seal the deal!

Acid

Acid, or LSD, is a hallucinogen. Hall-o-what? It means that tripping on LSD makes you see and hear things that aren’t really there. Sometimes these things make you happy, and sometimes these things scare the ever-loving-shit out of you. Trouble is you can’t control which you’re going to experience. The stuff you see may scare you so bad that you have a panic attack or lash out violently at yourself or someone else. This ain’t so great for sex.

Crystal Meth

Crystal meth, also known as speed, is a methamphetamine. (If you can’t even spell it, should you be using it? Just asking.) This stuff is a stimulant, like ecstasy, so it will also raise your energy, pump up your heart rate, and make you feel powerful. You might feel hornier, but there’s the usual trade off—the effects of meth may make it difficult for you to cum. Sex can last a long time, but maybe not in a good way—we’re talking possible chaffing of the penis here (ouch!). What’s worse than a chaffed dick? How about a meth addiction? Methamphetamines are crazy addictive, which has a way of making your next fix more important to you than other things in your life, like sex, or, you know, eating food.

Cocaine

Coke is another stimulant. This stuff gives a shorter high so you may find yourself taking more and more to get the feeling you want. That’s the road to overdosing. And—surprise, surprise—coke is another drug that can make it hard to get hard and even more difficult to cum.

Poppers

Poppers are all the rage among the club kids. Poppers provide a brief head rush and make you feel relaxed. Like booze, this may make you less nervous around the lads or ladies, but may also make you more likely to have sex you don’t really want to have, not use a condom, or make some other mistake you’ll kick yourself for later. Poppers also reduce your blood pressure, making you more likely to pass out, especially if you are any other medications or doing other drugs.