The Gifts that Keep on Giving: Sexually Transmitted Infections

Sexually transmitted infections (STIs) are infections that you can get from having sex with someone who is infected. Well, duh.

What not everybody knows, believe it or not, is that STIs can be passed through any sexual contact. So, if it involves any combo of penis, vagina, anus, mouth, fingers, or sex toy – and it ain’t a solo performance – you’d better listen up. Remember, Romeo, anyone can pass an STI to anyone else so it doesn’t matter if you are having sex with guys, girls, or both.

You usually can’t know if someone has an STI just by looking at them, so you gotta use condoms and other forms of protection to help protect yourself. Knowing what STIs are out there can help you avoid them, detect them, and/or treat them. We know you’ve heard all this stuff before in health class, but here it is again in convenient book form ’cause who wants to put a hand up and ask the teacher, “What do you think these warts on my balls could be?”

So have a good look through this handy STI guide. At best, you can someday answer a Jeopardy! question. At worst, you’ll recognize you have an STI but then you’ll get it treated double-quick. If you do ever think you might have an STI, you should see a doctor right away. Letting an infection go untreated, can spell bad news for you health-wise.… not to mention anyone else you have sex with. Also keep in mind that, while some STIs can be treated and they go away, other STIs are with you for life, brother. They may not give you any serious problems, but you have to take care of them and you have to take extra precautions so that you don’t infect other people.

If you do contract an STI, you gotta straight up tell your partner—and anyone else you have had sex with. They will need to get tested and treated. People show symptoms differently and sometimes women show symptoms that men don’t or men show symptoms that women don’t. Don’t assume that your partner will know about having an STI. If you have an STI, suck up your embarrassment, be a man, and let your partner know. Wouldn’t you want to know?

Bottom line: STIs aren’t fun, so why even risk getting one in the first place? Always use a condom and any other form of protection you can. You don’t want the hassle, reputation, or embarrassment of having an STI.

T H E U S U A L S U S P E C T S

There are many different STIs out there that you need to know about and protect yourself from. Some are caused by bacteria, some by a virus, and some are parasites (yup, bugs). It’s good to know what these STIs are because a) Jeopardy! remember? and b) not all infections are passed on the same way—so that means not all protection works for all STIs. That’s right, my friend. Pubic lice will just scoff at your condom use. 

Here is a rundown of the most common STIs seen in guys and girls.

B A C T E R I A - B A S E D  S T I 

CHLAMYDIA

What is it?

Chlamydia is caused by bacteria. It can cause pelvic inflammatory disease in a woman, which can prevent her from having children in the future. Guys, this infection, if left untreated, can also prevent you from ever having kids. Chlamydia is the most common bacterial STI in the world! Don’t be common.

How do you get it?

You can get chlamydia through any sexual contact, whether it’s oral, vaginal, or anal sex. Chlamydia can appear in your penis, anus, or mouth. Having sex without a condom puts you at risk. Chlamydia can spread to different parts of your body. For example, if you touch your eye after touching an infected area, the infection can spread. Chlamydia in the eyes can cause very serious problems including blindness. And people used to say jerking off made you go blind…

How do you prevent it?

You need to be sure to use a condom every time you have sex. In order to protect your mouth, you need to use a condom or dental dam for oral sex. Remember, many people don’t know they are infected, so don’t take someone’s word about being STI-free. Even if they do know, they might “forget” to mention it.