Not So Small Talk About Relationships

by Cris, 17 

For me, the most important things in a relationship are patience and respect. Maybe most people would say things like loyalty, trust, or love, but I think all of those go out the window if you don’t have patience or respect. 

The thing is, in any relationship, your partner is going to do things that annoy you. You have to learn to stay calm and look past the annoying things because they aren’t worth fighting about. There will be bigger things that you’re gonna have to deal with, but you have to know how to do it respectfully. 

The biggest thing I ever had to deal with happened two years ago. My girlfriend missed her period so I thought I was going to be a father. I was only 15 and we had only been going out for a year so I was confused and angry and almost every emotion you can go through. I told my girlfriend we should do a pregnancy test. She took the test and it came out negative, but I didn’t trust it so I took her to a clinic and we got the same results. After this incident, we started being more careful. 

That’s when I really learned that it’s not worth getting upset over small things. Patience and respect. If you don’t have these things, your relationship will fall apart because then you’ll be fighting all the time. If you can’t get along over little stuff, how are you gonna be over the big stuff?