Chapter 10

Sophie's POV:

I opened up my eyes, and I was holding Keefe's hand. We were outside Havenfield. Tears started forming, and I was so worried about mom and dad. How were they holding up?

I turned around to look at Keefe, however he had a sickening smile on his face.

"Keefe," I said cautiously.

He started laughing maniacally, blood coming out of his mouth.

"Keefe!" I said more alarmed, "What's going on?"

His blonde hair started receding and it was replaced with a darker shade of blonde. His face melted off and was replaced with sky blue eyes. It wasn't Keefe.

Fintan stared at me, calculating, "I can't believe this worked. We should've done it years ago!"

I looked over my shoulder, no one was out. The night sky was glinting with stars. Maybe if I scream someone would appear, right?

"You tried, plenty of times, but you failed. And you'll continue to fail over and over and over until you finally demise," I spat, trying to appear tough when I was actually freaking out.

Fintan stalked over towards me, and I backed up two steps before standing my ground. My fists were balled up and I was ready to inflict. I tried to summon all of my pain and sadness, but it didn't work. I tried again, and kept trying until Fintan let out a dark laugh.

"It won't work. One of our technopaths created something to stun abilities in a certain radius," he laughed.

I was panicking. How would I get out of here alive?

"Where's Keefe?" I asked worriedly, maybe if I get him talking he won't kill me right away, right?

"He was right in front of your nose. In the cell over, he didn't say anything, well because, we may have done something," he said with a proud smile.

"If he's dead, so help me--"

"He's not dead! My gosh, we aren't that nice," He interrupted with a corrupt look.

I needed to save him, was all I could think before Fintan started firing fire ball after fire ball in my direction. I ducked and started running.

Okay, think Sophie think. In all your years of training what did your mentors teach you? Patience, practice, no oh yes!

Councilor Bronte once said, when I was restricted of my abilities, inflicting comes from the heart, not the head.

I closed my eyes and let every negative emotion swell and get absorbed in my heart. My body started shaking, but I kept pushing, and pushing and pushing.

I felt people screaming at me, but I still kept on pushing, until finally I chucked it faster then an MLB pitcher at Fintan. There was a loud bang, and then my legs gave out.

~~~

I opened my eyes, and quickly scampered onto my feet. There was a giant indent in the earth that was completely black. Inside was Fintan's body. I cautiously lowered myself into the pit and checked for a pulse--there wasn't one.

He-he was dead.

I killed him.

I killed someone.

I was a murderer.

I started sobbing and panicking. I was just like them, they killed people, and I just killed him.

No! No you aren't. You feel emotion, you sympathize. My gosh, pull it together Sophie. Right when I thought this, I heard yelling from the house and Grady slammed the door open. He looked frustrated and tired.

Keefe, I thought. I had to leave before Grady made me stay. I couldn't pull my gaze from where he stood on the porch, angry, hands on his hips. Then his blue eyes locked in with mine, and my body froze.

His face contorted.

"Hello," I said with an awkward wave.

His face cracked, and he looked like he was about to cry.

"I'll be right back, I've got to do something." I said, already splitting open the void.

"No you aren't Sophie!" He scolded running after me.

"Dad, I just killed Fintan. By accident," I added as I saw his eyebrows sky rocket. "this is the perfect time to save Keefe. They are all unaware of what just happened."

He looked at me, "I know." 

"What?" I asked shocked.

"I know. You have to do this, just go. But you must contact me if you're in danger, okay?" He asked not meeting me eyes.

"I will," I whispered giving him a big hug and running into the void. Tears were falling down my face, but I shook it off.

Now was the time to actually save Keefe.