Chapter 4

(Y/n)'s POV

~The next day~

"Ciel!"

A girl with blonde pigtails came running in. She hugged Ciel tightly as if they were siblings.

Apparently her name was Elizabeth, the fiancé of Ciel, or so told by Sebastian.

"Huh? Who are you?" asked Elizabeth.
"(Y/n) (L/n), at your service." I bowed.
"Ahaha, you're so cute. I know! Ciel, let's have a ball tonight. We can invite everyone over!" Elizabeth exclaimed excitedly.
"Elizabeth, now isn't the time-"
"I told you to call me Lizzy. Anyway, don't you think (Y/n) would look cute with Sebastian? Oh, that's right. I bought you all a present," she said.

A frustrated sigh escaped Ciel's mouth. Was she always like this? Seemed like she had a bubbly personality.

"Here's yours, Sebastian."

She handed him a pink bonnet and made him wear the thing.
Luckily, I wasn't the only one laughing.

I noticed Sebastian fake his appreciation but Elizabeth was too dense to notice.
Afterwards, Meirin, Finny and Bard were knocked out.

I glared daggers at him, sending him a message that said, "Don't you dare..."

The next second, Sebastian had an arm around my waist.

"What makes you think that you'll get away with laughing?" he whispered into my ear.

This caused my face to turn bright red. I raised my hand, hoping to push him away, but he simply grabbed my arm.

"Aww, a ball is definitely needed," Elizabeth commented.
"N-no, this is a misunderstanding. Sebastian has nothing to do with me-"
"What are you talking about, sweetheart?" Sebastian asked.

Elizabeth's eyes seemed to glow while the others stared at us in shock. This time, I could not control my anger.

Ciel's face showed no sign of emotion. Was this part of his plan? To have Sebastian tease me like I was just a toy? To get closer to me?

My feet started moving until I noticed that I was running away from the manor, and into the woods.

This brought back living nightmares. The torture they gave me...it included this fake love. The love in which they used me then disposed of me like trash.

Tears were streaming down my face by the time I fell. I didn't bother getting up. Damn this cursed world. Everything was against me. What did I do wrong? What did I do to deserve this?

"Miss (Y/n), are you alright?" asked Finny.
"Finny..."

He tilted his head to the side in confusion. I smiled at him but it soon disappeared through my overflowing tears.

"I may not know what happened between you two but things will get better," he said while sitting down beside me.
"Tch, this world is cursed."
"You know, I had a tough childhood too. But things got better."

I wiped my tears away, and stared at the sky.

"Why did you come out here?"
"I came to look for you. Everyone...excluding Ciel and Sebastian, was worried about you," he replied.
"I've only been here for a day and you're worried about me?"

He nodded and smiled. I really had nothing to say.

"Come back. At least let them know that you're alright," he exclaimed with puppy dog eyes.
"Fine, I can't say no to that."

He extended his hand and pulled me up. The walk back was making me anxious. What would they think of me? Just running off like that...

How far did I actually run? Did Finny walk all the way here to find me? It must've been tiresome for him.

"Oh, (Y/n)! What happened?!" Elizabeth asked worriedly.
"Don't mind me. I was just...uh-"
"She needed to go help the rabbits," Finny finished.
"Rabbits?" Elizabeth asked, confused.
"Yeah, there are some rabbits and she feeds them regularly," Finny lied.
"Enough with the idle talk. Elizabeth, the ball you've been talking about...I've already sent the invitations. This is the last time that I'll do this so be grateful," Ciel exclaimed.
"Yay! I knew you'd come through!" Elizabeth replied excitedly.

~Some time later~

"(Y/n), are you done yet?" Elizabeth asked.

I hesitantly pulled the drapes to the side and revealed the dress that she wanted me to put on.

It exposed my shoulders and reached the floor. The whole thing was navy and stuck to my body. She made me put on earrings and a necklace while giving me appropriate shoes as well. My hair was done in a loose bun.

"So cute and pretty! I knew it would suit you," she said with a smile.
"Thank you. Although I don't think a maid like me is supposed to attend a ball in-"
"No excuses. Sebastian will fall for you for sure this time."

*sigh* I didn't feel anything for him. If possible, I would want to escape as far as my wings will take me.

"Now go, everyone's waiting."

Before I could say anything, she pushed me towards the staircase. I ignored the constant stares everyone was giving me and descended down the staircase.

"Lady (Y/n)," Sebastian greeted with a bow.
I quickly dropped into a curtsy.

I hated all the attention. I was just a maid. Could they not tell? I guess Elizabeth did too good of a job on getting me ready. She really was serious on having this ball, huh?

Everyone was chatting amongst themselves. But what was the point of this ball? Usually they would only organise these events if something special was on, right? At least that was what I read about in books.

"May I have this dance?" Sebastian asked while extending his hand.

Ciel nodded at me as if I had to because it was his order.

"Of course."

I took his hand and let him lead me.

"What?"
"It would be strange if someone, such as yourself, were to stand around without a partner. Lady Elizabeth made it as if you were a noble yourself," he whispered back.
"But why does it have to be you?"
"Still have that rude attitude of yours, I see."
"Tch, why are you avoiding my question? Just so you know, I'm not going to reveal anything."

He just smirked in reply. What has he got planned?