Chapter 26

Chapter 26

   "Here." I shoved the check into the Doctors hands, "Take it."

   "How did you get--"

   "It's not your job to interrogate me on how I got the money, Mr. Lockhart." I snapped impatiently. "Your job is too take it and help the patient."

   "Well--I--"

   "Listen, I mean you no disrespect but right now I'm on the verge of having a mental breakdown, as I did the other day, so would you please just promise me to get her treatment?"

   "Y-yes." The Doctor stuttered and scampered down the hall.

   I sighed the corner of my mouth turning up into a sneer. Just thinking about the expression on my parents faces when they would figure out I "borrowed" fifteen thousand dollars from their bank account brought a cruel smile upon my face.

   But as I like to say; desperate times call for desperate measures.

   As you may be wondering what happened the other day after my little "temper tantrum" lets just say it didn't end so well. After I ran to the bathroom and cried my little heart out, two police officers came barging into the ladies room. Apparently destruction of property and noise complaints in a hospital get you escorted out, into a cop car, down to the police station, and charged three hundred dollars. Least to say I wasn't a happy camper after that.

   "Hey, Jules-bear. How are you holding up?" Alex suddenly popped up in front of me.

   "Fine." I replied curtly.

   "Awe, come on whenever a girl says fine she really isn't." He smiled and scooped me up in his arms. It was a comforting hug nothing more, nothing less. No alter motive behind it, just a nice soothing hug.

   "That may be so but I truly do mean I'm fine." I smiled reassuringly, trying to soothe his nerves.

   "Jules, you and I both know that fine will never describe you."

   Elbowing him in his gut, a smile cracked upon my face. "How is that in this short amount of time you have gotten me to smile?"

   "It's cuz I know you, Julia. I knew you for the longest time." He whispered sadly. 

   And their it was. The guilt. The soul reason Alex had befriended me in the first place. The guilt of what he had done and what he didn't do in the past. The past that which he had tourchered me day in and day out. The guilt that drove him to be my friend, not out of pure kindness, but guilt. Guilt that consumes everyone's soul, even Cole's. His guilt was the worst out of all. The guilt of rejecting his own mate. The only person that could ever truly make his heart whole and happy, he rejected. Now that his mate has returned so has the guilt. And this guilt will forever be locked away in his mind, always constant, always seeking for a chance to make its appearance.

   "Julia, I'm--"

   "Please, don't. Not now, please." I begged my voice breaking.

   "All right, All right. Shh I'm sorry I shouldn't have brought it up." He whispered soothingly, regret evident in his voice. "It's ok, it's ok, I'm sorry." He rocked me back and forth in his arms.

   Nodding my head to clear my thoughts of any doubt, I focused on the soft beating of Alex's heart, letting it wash over my ears like a lullaby.

   I'm not sure how much time passed by just us sitting there, holding one another, but like time always does to me; it catches up. And as time catches up to me bad things happen that I have no control over. Time is my poison, my kryptonite, time swallows up my hopes and dreams, making it impossible for me to reach them. One way or another time has grasped my life in its hand time after time. It is my master and I the puppet, and like time always does to me, it screws me over.