Chapter 25

NEW CHAPTER

Chapter 25

   Things seemed to blur together, as time stopped. I remembered the sound of sirens filling my ears. I remember Cole gathering me in his arms and whispering sweet nothing's to me. I remember being carted off into the Intensive Care unit, waiting for news about my savior. I still couldn't wrap my mind around it all. It just seemed so cereal to me.

   "Still no news?" Cole asked as he sat down next to me. He was munching on a bag of potato chips from the vending machine.

   "No." My voice faltered a little, "Not a word."

   "It'll be ok."

   "Will it." I snapped at him. "You saw how fast that car came, how could you possibly know things are going to be ok?"

   Even in our current predicament, Cole found it in him to crack a smile at me. "It's because I have hope."

   "Well, I find it hard to have hope now days." I hissed.

   "I know." He replied, munching on his chips again, "Just don't lose sight of what's right, ok?"

   "What's that supposed to mean?" I sighed, running a hand through my tangled hair.

   "In time you'll know." He winked and looked ahead.

   Curse you Cole and your ominous sayings!

   "Ms. Williams?" My name was suddenly called, "Would you please..." The doctor waved me over. I gave a confused glance at Cole who simply shrugged at me. So, I stood and slowly walked over to him.

   "Yes?"

   "It's concerning the girl that you have brought into our care..." He said.

   "What about it?" I responded rudely.

   "Your friend doesn't have any records that she's a citizen here." He whispered.

   "What are you talking about?"

   "It's as if she never even exists. She has no name, no family, and no health care." He explained, showing me her charts. "She's having a hard time fighting against the damage from the wreck but without any information we can't keep her here long."

   "So what are you saying?" I growled.

  "If we don't have any information about a patient we cannot provide any treatment to her. If she's illegally here it is against our rules to help."

   "What will happen then."

   "We can keep her here for 24 hours but if no family comes and claims her we will have no choice but to disband her." The doctor said in a daze.

   "What if I pay for her?" I suddenly said.

   "Well, that can work but you have to understand..." He tried to place a hand on my shoulder.

   "I don't want to understand! I want to help her!" I screamed.

   "Alright, alright." He whispered in a rush because my outburst had caused some unwanted attention.

   "How much will it take?"

   "Excuse me?" The doctor said astounded.

   I rolled my eyes placing my hands on my hips. "Ok, calm your jets I didn't mean I was going to pay you off. I meant how much does her operation take?"

   The doctor looked away awkwardly, mumbling to himself. "A wreck this bad usually needs at minimum fifteen thousand or so."

   "F-Fifteen thousand!" I stuttered, nearly audible. "That's..."