Chapter 3 (Revised)

Chapter 3

   I woke to the sound of an echoing trickle. The kind that fell from the top of the cavern and bounced off of the ground below it. This pattern continued on for minutes unknown and became imprinted in my mind. All the caves tear drops landing in a big puddle at the mouth of the cave. Their silver bodies carrying them around and around, until they stilled and their movements became a sway, shifting in the wind. They danced and twirled in front of my puffy eyes and then a light breeze mixed into the morning air, disheveling the water into a ripple effect.

   I stood and stretched my arms, far beyond my head, and let out a soft moan from the stiff ground. Pressing my hands into my lower back and arching forward, to rid myself of the tension, I slowly found my way out of the cave and into the fresh morning air.

   Pine. Is what I smelled first. The aroma of the pine trees lingered in the misty air, as it settles into the moist ground.

   Bark. The smell of wet bark mushed together, with the pine, the flowers, the soil, to form the most glorious smell I have ever come to witness. This is the rebirth of nature. When the morning sun comes up from her slumber and gazes down on her subjects, they sink in her warmth and grow ten fold, just to try and reach up and touch her. Their ivory leaves changing to a color so vibrant only she would be able to see. Their reverent dances in the wind, as her radiant smile showers them with joy. The foggy night coming to an end along with the cold bitter nightmares he brings along with him. The animals waking and joining in on the celebration, instead of hiding away at night to keep away from the ravenous monsters that feed for their pray, with open arms.

   Hey Saraphine? Fancy I quick run?

   'I would love nothing more.' I felt her smile in my mind.

   That was all I needed, before I dashed through the trees, jumped over a fallen log, and shifted right in the air. My four paws landing with a thud as they hit ground. 

   I ran for a good two hours around the perimeter of the woods and then stumbled upon a trio of people making their way through the woods. Only I knew that the girl was not delighted in joining them. I could smell the fear washing over her in gigantic beds of sweat. With each intake her breaths became more rigid, until all that was left was a small scream and a broken swallow.

   "Shut up! And tell us what you know!" The shady haired man said.

   "I don't know anything, I swear!" She pleaded.

   "Liar! You heard what the Master was talking about. You know what his plans are!" The other man yelled and pulled the girls hair up, so it was holding her up like a rope.

   "No, I'm telling you the truth. Please, please, don't kill me!" She begged her sobs reverberating through the woods.

   "What do you say Linux? Should we let the little brat go?" The black haired man said.

   The shady haired one--also known as Linux--replied "That ruins all the fun and I want to be the one to rip this messengers head clean off." He maliciously smiled.

   "I agree, besides we wouldn't want her running back to her leader and telling them the news. That would ruin all of our plans."

   "I don't work for anyone else, I serve only the Master!" The girl cried.

   "Oh I wouldn't put it over you to work for someone else, Diana?" Linux gripped her tighter. 

   "I would never!"

   Both men shared a humorous chuckle, "Oh cut the act already." Linux growled. "The Master is angry with you Diana, you betrayed his trust, and now we have direct orders to kill you." He smiled turning toward the other man, "What do you say, Chad, you ready?"