Chapter 30 - Nightmares - Part 9

The Nightmares Of The Brave.

Ash had fallen asleep on the loft couch, sitting upright under Serena's legs.

He held her hand as the two slept, to give her some comfort from the nightmare that had scared her.

Just what scared you so bad Serena?
He would soon find out.

He was asleep, but didn't seem to be dreaming, he then saw his surroundings, a terrible sight.

A tree of pale wood, and dark red leaves, on top of a mountain. He believed he was still on Alola, but it seemed so unfamiliar to him.
Around him was fire, the world seemingly dying all around.

What has happened here?

Darkness then engulfed him, with nothing but the color black in sight.

"We meet at last."
A voice said from the seemingly endless void.

"Who are you?!" Ash exclaimed in worry.

"Him."

"What?"

"None of this makes sense, I know. Perhaps it is time to shed some light on the past." With that said light appeared from the darkness.

Ash was now in a new place. Somewhere that seemed very familiar to him, but wasn't quite sure where.

He saw two boys around his age, playing a game.

"You've got to do better then that Raphael." One boy said.

"I'm sorry that I don't play this game all day like you do." The other boy replied. The two laughed at each other as a girl approached them.

"Hey guys!" She greeted the two.

Seems they were all friends.

"Always nice to see you Unmei." Raphael said.

"No hello from you Firu?" She giggled.

"Sorry Unmei. Examining my next move." He responded.

"You and that game. Have you beaten him ever Ralph?" Unmei asked.

"I got close once!"

"I played only with my queen and king." Firu said smugly.

"I still almost won!" Raphael exclaimed.

Unmei giggled once again.
"Seems you two are both amazing in your own ways. You haven't beaten Ralph in a battle have you Firu?" She asked.

"His Greninja is impressive I admit. Although beating him in battle is not an priority of mine." Firu said still examining the chess board.

"Me and Greninja have a close bond. Together there is no way we can lose." Raph exclaimed.

"Except at chess." Firu added.

"Except at chess." He said agreeing. The three friends laughed, as time seemingly stopped.

"Why did you show me that?" Ash asked. "Because." The voice replied simply.

"Because what?" Ash exclaimed looking at the three friends.

"They were best friends once. Good times. The three of them were truly something." It said, seemingly with sympathy.

"What happened?" Ash said quietly.

"One became a monster.
He gave in.
He tried to kill him.
As you could guess, it didn't exactly work out." It responded.

"Why would he do that? You said they were close." Ash said in disbelief.

"Any soul can be corrupted. There's no saving it after that, no saving others either as I learned." It said.

"Enough of the past. Let's look to the future. Our future." It said with the darkness returning, two red eyes revealing themselves.

"I have more questions!" Ash said to the shadow. "And I have no more answers right now." It responded.

"So we are enemies." Ash said.

"Wow. Give the boy a medal. How long did it take you to figure that out?" It chuckled.

"Who were those kids?" Ash asked.

"Are you this dumb on purpose?" It remarked.

"What do you have planned? What was that tree about?" Ash asked.

"The world is mine to control, I am taking it back."

"Not if I stop you." Ash said confidently.

"That's the idea isn't it. Soon you will be reunited with an Allie. When you do, your confidence will turn to frustration. Together, we will unlock your secrets."

"What are you talking about?"

"I will make you more powerful then you could ever imagine."

"Why would you do that?"

"To make your defeat all the more glorious."

"You seem confident in winning."

"I am. The reason? I'll tell you soon enough. For now, sleep. You will need your rest for tomorrow. A different journey begins then. You will encounter a new enemy. I am interested in how it all works out. Perhaps one thing will lead to another."

"What are you talking about?"

"You will see. You will all see.
For now. Goodbye.
Next time we meet, I expect to see you ready to battle." It chuckled as the light formed from the darkness once more.

Ash woke up, still with the moon in the sky. He had no idea what that thing was, but he had a good feeling it's what spooked Serena. He thought about the creature of his nightmare. It was clearly dangerous. It had it out for him as well.

How do you take on something like that?

He then looked over to the sleeping girl next to him. She was peacefully sleeping, her hand still in his. Ash smiled at this.

With you. All of you. We will stop whatever it has planned. I know it.

He gave her hand a soft squeeze as he drifted back into sleep.

He wasn't going to worry with his friends by his side.

"Exactly my point."