Chapter 16: And Now I Know She Just Isn't Who I Thought

Chapter 16

And Now I Know She Just Isn’t Who I Thought

The next morning I was woken up by a blaring alarm. I jumped up in my bed, my eyes opening blearily and I hugged the covers around me. I looked over at the floor where Alyssa was sleeping on the mattress I had pulled out for her and she calmly rolled over and turned off an alarm I hadn’t seen before.

                “What the hell?” I croaked.

                She stretched and got out of her bed, looking over at me.

                I glared at her.

                “It’s six in the morning! Why are you getting up?”

                She rolled her eyes, “I’m going for my morning jog.”

                “Your morning jog?” I asked.                     

                She’s crazy.

                “Why not take an afternoon jog? Or a night jog?”

                “It wakes me up,” she said, walking around her bed and to her suitcase, pulling out her clothes.

                I rolled back under my covers, throwing them over my head. I lay there even after she left, still awake. I couldn’t fall back asleep anymore, and I found myself remembering last night with a slight smile. I just wanted to roll out of bed and drive straight to Sam’s house, but I had to control myself. Even though he was nice to me last night, it doesn’t mean he still likes me. If anything, he’s probably annoyed with me and how needy I am. I sighed, reaching into my nightstand drawer and pulling out my medication.

                I got out of bed and found my dad in the kitchen, reading a newspaper. He looked up at me when I walked in. I yawned and sat down at the table with him before I crossed my legs pretzel style and grabbed his mug of coffee so I could take a small sip.

                “Any plans today?” he asked me.

                “Not really,” I sighed. “Maybe I’ll call up Ali and Cora.”

                “You do know you have to take Alysssa with you, right?”

                I sighed. “But what if she doesn’t want to go?”

                “Well, then she doesn’t have to.”

                “Right…”

                I got up and made myself breakfast and tea before heading back into my room. Then I sifted through my room until I pin pointed my cell, flipping it open and dialing Cora.

                “Cora?” I said, confused because her phone stopped ringing but there was no hello.

                After a moment there was a “Hello?”

                “Cora?” I said again.

                “Oh, hey Quinn,” she said.

                “Do you want to hang?” I asked her uncertainly.

                “Can’t,” she sighed, upset.

                “Why? What’s up?” I asked her curiously.

                “Well, Ali’s mom and my mom are like best friends. And Ali’s mom sort of found out that we had snuck out last night to that fair. We weren’t supposed to and stuff because they also found out about that party we went to… sooo… we’re both kind of grounded. Right now we have to clean up both of our houses. We’ve just started at my house.”