Chapter 24: I Never Get (Or Say) Anything Right

Sorry for the long wait! Here's chapter 24, though.

Check out the song Degausser by Brand New on the side, it's one of my favorites.:)

*****

Chapter 24

I Never Get (Or Say) Anything Right

As the week progressed things got weirder between Sam and I and I just couldn't wait for Friday to come so I didn't have to deal with anything anymore.

                Thursday night I took a much needed trip to the grocery store. Fearful of seeing Stan I tried to make my trip quick…

                It's not that I didn't like Stan, it's just that I found everything creepy… and slightly weird. I mean, he's nice and flattering and all,. but overall I couldn't deal with the added stress of him. I still don't understand why even Sam would want to kiss me, let alone talk to me. But now that there is another guy that has a little thing for me, I'm just downright confused. After my cart was full I headed to the checking tables and stood in line for the one behind Stan, even though Stan's was shorter.

                "I can take you over here," Stan said after about two minutes of fearful hiding.

                I peeked out of the magazine I had grabbed from the nearby shelf to see Stan staring right at me. His mouth split into a grin and he said, "Quinn."

                I put back my magazine and pulled my cart out of the line and headed over to his with a sigh.

                "Why in the world are you trying to hide from me!" he said as I let my hair cover my face and started to load all my groceries onto the table.

                "I'm not trying to hide from you," I lied.

                Once I was done unloading my cart I pushed my cart up to the top where a bagger started bagging my groceries also.

                "You could have said hi," he said.

                "Yeah, well, I didn't want to bother you," I said, watching him punch in my groceries.

                Can't he hurry? Or is he going a lot slower on purpose? The place was pretty dead, I have to admit. And if I were him I would be pretty bored too…

                "So how about we go get custard some other time?" he asked me. "Since you wouldn't get any with me before?"

                "I don't know… Stan…." I stuttered in panic.

                What in the world do you say to that?

                He handed me my receipt and I took that as a chance to get going. But before I could he reached for my wrist and stopped me. I looked over at him.

                "I can meet you at Sweet Lillian's… how about tomorrow night?"

                I looked at him like he was crazy.

                "Say, seven."

                "Oh, I can't… because…"

                When I didn't give a reason he simply gave me a look. Why did I have to be such an awful liar? Maybe not in general, but when it comes to boys…