Chapter 17: Confessions in a Cozy Bed

Chapter 17

Confessions in a Cozy Bed

                “Your mom was far from perfect,” Alyssa had said to me before. I never thought she was perfect… she had depression. I never thought I could say that Alyssa was right about something until now. I’d always pictured my mom as perfect despite her depression, I mean, she couldn’t help that. But now she did do something she could help, she cheated, and that was her decision.

                I felt my phone vibrate and reached through my bed and looked down at it. I had three missed calls and five texts, all from Sam.

                Shit.

                I heard the door slam and knew Alyssa was back.

                I looked at the clock and with surprise I realized it was eight. Where did the time go? I stood up and pulled open the door quietly and crept down the hallway to listen to what my dad was going to say.

                “Alyssa, sit down,” he demanded for what sounded like the umpteenth time.

                There was the loud sound of a chair being pulled out and pushed back into the table.

                “What? You can’t tell me that you were going to keep it from her for forever?” Alyssa said, breaking the silence.

                “It wasn’t your place to tell her anything… you knew not to tell her. I let you stay here for the weekend, you shouldn’t be barging in here like you own the place. You should be thankful but instead you are acting like a spoiled little brat.”

                Whoa, I can’t believe my dad went that far. I don’t think he actually meant to go that far, he’s just really, really, angry.

                “I’m sorry, alright?” she said, annoyed.

                “You aren’t. I know you aren’t, but I don’t care about your opinions. I just don’t want you here messing up my family.”

                “Your family basically consists of you and your daughter, here. You shut everyone else out. My parents said that you never talk to them or any of your brothers and sisters. She said the only people you talk to is your wife’s parents, who aren’t even your family.”

                That felt like a slap in the face. Now I was angry. You see, Alyssa can mess with me but she cannot mess with my dad or talk about my mom. She has no respect, it literally amazes me. I stormed into the kitchen; I didn’t even care if they realized I was listening to that whole conversation.

                “Actually, we decided that we didn’t want to talk to your crazy family. How does it feel having parents that constantly try to get you to change yourself, Alyssa? First it was about losing weight but now I heard they want you to go to some fancy college and become a lawyer.”

                She stood up, her face turning red.

                “At least I have both of my parents.”

                “At least both of my parents actually cared about me,” I retaliated.

                She stormed off into my room and slammed my door behind her. I hurried after her and stood in front of the door even after she slammed it in my face.