Chapter 28: Pat

Chapter 28

Pat

"Mom?" Sam called after he opened the door to his house in Minnesota. The house was gorgeous, it was moderately big with extravagant flowers and bushes planted in front of the house.

                There was no answer as Sam gestured for me to come in. I dragged my suitcase behind me, the sound echoing through the (quite large) house.

                I think that did it.

                "Hello!" there was a shout that came from upstairs.

                Suddenly there was a loud set of footsteps barreling down the stairs and in a flash a figure ran through the door and tackled Sam with a hug.

                "Aw honey, I missed you," she said, hugging him tight.

                Sam was facing me and he was flushing brightly, embarrassed, but he still hugged her back strongly. It was evident he really did miss her too.

                "Is it possible for me to be able to see that you've grown in a month? I guess I'm just not used to having such a tall man in the house anymore," she said, joking.

                "Oh, please mom," Sam muttered, embarrassed.

                "Mom, this is Quinn," Sam said, introducing me.

                She pulled out of the hug and turned to get a good look at me, while I got a good look at her. His mom was really pretty, she was thin and standing next to Sam, looked really short, but Sam is sort of a giant. Her hair was brown like his and I could see Sam's facial structure in her. Sam looked a lot more like his mom than his dad. She hurried over to me and gave me a hug also, one of the most welcome hugs I've ever received, really.

                "Wow, aren't you gorgeous. Sam never brings girls home so it's lovely to see you," she said, giggling.

                I blushed brightly, parents always do that, say that you are more pretty than you are. They exaggerate a lot.

                "Thank you…" I didn't know what to call her, or what her name was.

                "You can call me Pat," she said with a wide smile, one that showed all her teeth and made her lips curl a bit.

                "Thank you Pat, for having me also," I say, blushing slightly.

                "Aw, it's my pleasure honey. I've missed Samuel so much and when he said he was bringing a pretty girl along that made me excited. I always sort of wanted a daughter," she confessed with a wink. "Now I get to live with one for the weekend." I laughed and looked at Sam who had his arms crossed against his chest. "For awhile I was hoping he would turn out gay, that way he would at least be a little girly," his mom continued to joke and I started to laugh so hard I had tears in my eyes.

                Sam rolled his eyes, "Mom, sometimes you take jokes too far…"

                She waved a hand at him, "Please. I was just going to go outside and start gardening, I figured you two could help."

                Sure enough, she had set down a bucket full of gardening tools when she went to hug Sam. Staring at Pat made me think of my mom, especially the whole gardening thing. My mom loved to garden and to take care of the house, so seeing Pat all ready to do that brought back sad memories and broken wishes. I took in a deep breath, all I had to do is not think about that though. I can't let my past control how I feel now, that's exactly what I was talking to Dr. Allen about during my last session.