Chapter 13: Lymphoma

Chapter 13

Lymphoma

The rest of the week went by just as awkwardly as it had before… all because I had managed to screw things up even more. I wouldn’t be surprised if Sam thought I was a freak of nature. He probably never wants to talk to me again.

                I came home after school on Friday to find my prescription that we had ordered waiting for me on the kitchen counter. Dad must have picked it up sometime today after I had left. I walked over to it and stared at the bottle, then peaked inside it at the small white pills that were going to give me color in my life.

                Nervously I picked up the bottle and brought it to my room, setting it on my nightstand. I have to take one every morning it directed on the back, and I won’t feel the effects for another three to four weeks. When I had talked to Dr. Allen about them, she’d told me that there still would be some days where I felt depressed, but they would lessen and not be as fierce.

                They reminded me so much of my mom and knowing that I was so much like her kind of made me feel bad. If she wouldn’t have left, we would be going through this together. Or maybe my case wouldn’t be as severe and I wouldn’t even need medication. It could be her fault that I’m like this. I think that if my mom knew that she would cause us all so much pain in the end, she would take back her death if she could. But now it’s too late and she’s left me with this.

                This bottle of pills.

                My phone started vibrating and I took it out, answering it wearily.

                “Hello?”

                “Stop it Cora! You’re gonna burn the cookies and my mom will be so pissed!”

                There was an annoyed voice arguing back.

                “Hello?” I asked again.

                “Sorry Quinn!” Ali’s voice came on the phone. “Cora and I were wondering if you wanted to come over and hang with us?”

                I set the bottle of pills back on my nightstand and stood up, walking over to my window. “Sure,” I managed to say in a happy voice, already forgetting the pills behind me.

                “We were thinking of going to Sweet Lillian’s Custard later too. But first you can just come to mine.”

                She gave me her address and I wrote it down. I had a good idea of where she lived and grabbed my keys and started driving.

                Of course on the way I ended up seeing him walking. I guess I should have realized that since I was driving through his neighborhood there was a good chance he would be outside or something. Sam was walking with Ethan toward my car as I drove.

                They both recognized me and waved for me to stop, so I did.

                “Hey,” I said, rolling down my window.

                “Where are you heading?” Ethan asked.

                Sam was noticeably quiet.

                “Going to Cora and Ali’s,” I answered.

                “Sweet,” Ethan said and walked around the car. He opened the door and sprang into my passenger seat.