Chapter 22: Late October Rain

Chapter 22

Late October Rain

“So what cousins are these?” I asked Sam after I had gotten ready and we were now in his car.

                I didn’t want to properly meet Sam’s dad and step mom looking like a dude, with a t-shirt and sweats. So I changed into some jeans and a fancy looking top I hadn’t worn for at least two years. Luckily, it still fit, and it was still in style.

                “They’re on Susan’s side, my step mom. I haven’t even met them myself yet. It’s going to be just an awful experience I can feel it...”

                “Please,” I rolled my eyes. “How old are they?”

                “I don’t even know. I don’t even know their names. And I’m bad with names. And first impressions, as you know,” he sighed, smacking his forehead with the palm of his hand, shaking his head at the road.

                “It’ll be fine, if worse comes to worse, they’ll hate you.”

                He laughed, “That’s awful.”

                Whoops, I suck at reassurances.

                “I didn’t mean it like that; I meant who cares about their opinion anyway?”

                “My dad. And Susan.”

                I patted his arm reassuringly, “It’ll be fine, boy.”

                “Doubtful.”

                “It will be.”

                “My dad might be mad that I invited you to this ‘family gathering’.”

                “Sam! You weren’t supposed to invite me?” He shrugged sheepishly. “I don’t want your dad or Susan to hate me either!”

                “They won’t,” Sam said, now reassuring me.

                I shook my head, looking out the window when an idea popped into my head suddenly, “Do you want to get those dolls together after this dinner?”

                “Deal.”

                We pulled into the parking lot of a fancy Italian restaurant and I stared at it with wide eyes. I don’t go to fancy restaurants too often. Since it’s only dad and I, we don’t feel the need to go out much. Its money that we shouldn’t spend and time wasted. It’s not like anything interesting is going to happen at a dinner for just us two.  But this was different. It was nice going somewhere this fancy with people I didn’t know very well.

                “I brought money to pay for myself,” I said quickly, letting Sam know.

                He shook his head, “Believe me, my dad is going to offer to pay for everyone’s meal, and no one can argue with that one.”

                “Are you sure? I feel awfully guilty just coming here, invited when I shouldn’t be, and making him pay for my meal.”

                Sam shook his head, “My dad is pretty great, he’ll like you, believe me.”

                “But this is a family thing.”