Flying

A/N: Yes, there are references to movies in here.

Deathbringer, Rainkeeper, and Jambu walked through the forest. Rainkeeper was sitting on his dad's shoulders, holding onto Deathbringer's jaw to keep his balance. Jambu fidgeted nervously beside them, his normal pink scales now a scared pale green. 

"This is a horrible idea." he declared. Deathbringer grinned. 

"This is a wonderful idea." he insisted. 

"It's going to end terribly and Glory will kill us." Jambu proclaimed. Deathbringer shoved away a branch and looked at Jambu. 

"Then we will just have to keep it from ending terribly." Jambu went pale. 

"Why are you doing this again? Glory will hate it." he asked. They stopped at a clearing and Deathbringer glanced up at a very tall tree. 

"I think," he began. "That you just answered your own question Jambu." 

Deathbringer plopped Rainkeeper to the ground and knelt down so they were at eye level. 

"Now tell me," Deathbringer asked, grinning at his son. "Do you want to learn how to fly?" Rainkeeper's eyes widened. 

"YES! yesyesyesyesyesyeyseyseysyesyes!" Rainkeeper said excitedly. Deathbringer smiled at him and picked him up. 

"you see that platform up there?" he asked, pointing at a spot in the tall tree. Rainkeeper nodded. " That's where you're going to learn." Deathbringer declared. Jambu let out  noise very similar to a whine.

 "I don't like this." He announced. "I don't like this at all." Ignoring Jambu, Deathbringer flew up to the platform and set Rainkeeper down on it. Rainkeeper peered over the side of the platform and looked down at Jambu, who was barely a speck on the ground. It was a long way down and Rainkeeper found himself growing nervous and scared. But his dad was here, so he wasn't that scared. 

"Hi Uncle Jamboo!" he called, waving at his uncle. 

"So," Deathbringer said. "Ready to learn?" 

"Yep!" Rainkeeper replied. 

"Okay," Deathbringer began. "So, what you're going to do is you're going to spread your wings and jump off the platform. Don't flap your wings though. You have to trust the wind and get on an air current before you need to flap your wings, alright?"Rainkeeper nodded slowly and looked over the edge of the platform again. 

"So I has to jump?" the little dragonet asked anxiously. Deathbringer sensed the dragonet's fear, and knelt down beside him. "Don't worry." he assured him.

 "If you fall, I'll catch you, alright?"  Rainkeeper gulped and then nodded. 

"Okay." he said weakly. 

Down on the ground, Jambu's face contorted in horror. "I can't watch this." he whispered, covering his eyes with his talons. A minute later, he spread his talons apart slightly so that he could see through them. 

Rainkeeper spread his wings and walked to the edge of the platform. He glanced down again and took a deep breath. Then, he jumped. 

There weren't any air currents. Rainkeeper plummeted towards the ground and began to scream. He yelled, talons outstretched and wings flapping as hard as they could. Panic had completely set in.

Deathbringer watched as Rainkeeper fell and began to scream. Wait, he told himself, resisting the urge to dive after his son and catch him. Wait. After Rainkeeper had fallen a good distance, Deathbringer realized that he wasn't going to fly this time. He immediately dove off the platform after his son.

Rainkeeper screamed and shut his eyes as the ground grew closer. But he never hit it. Instead, he collided with scales and strong arms that wrapped around him. He opened his eyes and saw his dad staring at him, his face mildly concerned. He glanced over his father's arms and noticed that they were still in the sky. Deathbringer was flying in place. He immediately latched onto Deathbringer's neck with wide eyes as they neared the ground. 

Deathbringer touched down on the ground and looked at the small dragonet wrapped around him. 

"I told you I'd catch you," he whispered in the dragonet's ear. 

Later...

Glory sat at a desk, working, and sighed. It had been a very boring day without Deathbringer and Rainkeeper at her side. 

"Mommieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!" a voice shrieked. Glory glanced up to see Rainkeeper burst into the room, Deathbringer laughing at his heels. She smiled and got up, picking the dragonet up into her arms. She chuckled as he hugged her. 

"So, what did you do today?" she asked him. Deathbringer's eyes widened. 

"I went flyin wid Uncle Jamboo an' Daady tried to teachs me to flys but it didn't work and I fell a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong ways down but then Daddy catcheded me." Rainkeeper explained. 

"Well, that sounds like fun," Glory replied, but Deathbringer saw the red seeping into her scales. "How about you go pick out a scroll for bedtime, alright?" she suggested. 

"Okay!" he cried, running to pick out a story. As soon as he had left the room, Glory turned to Deathbringer. 

"You. Did. WHAT!!!!" she yelled. Deathbringer winced and tried to make himself small. He was bigger than Glory, but when she was mad, she grew much bigger and scarier than he was. 

"Pleasedon'thurtmeJambutoldmenottobutIcouldn'thelpit." he stammered. She glared at him. 

"You are very lucky that he didn't fly when I wasn't there." she said angrily. Deathbringer breathed a sigh of relief and relaxed. 

"So, how was your day?" he asked her. She shook her head. 

"Very boring without my boys, that's for sure." she proclaimed, kissing him.