The Message

Rainkeeper jumped to the ground, a smile on his face. Laughter sounded in the trees as Pear followed him. Tree-Bud sat on a branch, glaring at the pair while he ate an apple, rather than throwing it at them. Rainkeeper wasn't sure why he was laughing so much, but he really didn't care.

 "Race you Rainy!" Pear yelled, running to the next tree. He chased after her, and she shrieked, the heart necklace swinging thumping against her chest as she ran. They raced up to the top of the tree, then back down. Only, this time, when Rainkeeper landed on the ground, there was someone waiting for him. 

"Hello again," a slithery voice hissed. The grin faded from his face as Pineapple stared at him. Pear was right next to Rainkeeper, having the sense to stay in camouflage. 

"What do you want Pineapple?" he said coldly. Pineapple examined her sharp talons, as if she was uninterested. 

"I need you to deliver a message for me." she explained. 

"And why would I do anything for you?" Rainkeeper growled. She glared at him. 

"Because if you don't," she replied, reaching out and grabbing Pear. Pear shrieked and jumped out of camouflage, her scales green with fear. "She dies." 

Rainkeeper stared, willing this to be a dream. Pear shut her eyes, shaking slightly as one of Pineapple's talons rested on her throat.

 "I would take care of the message myself, but there's the issue that I'll be arrested on sight." Pineapple explained. Rainkeeper stood frozen, his eyes shifting from Pear to Pineapple, then lingering again on Pear. "Come on Rainkeeper, you know you're going to agree. You care too much about this pathetic dragon to say no." Pineapple teased. 

"She is not pathetic." Rainkeeper snapped. Pineapple's raised her eyebrows in surprise. She had never heard her cousin sound this angry before. He was such a calm and innocent dragon, it was one of the reasons why she didn't hate him. But now, he could've wiped out an army of Icewings with his glare.

 "If you insist," she agreed. "Your decision?" He glanced back at Pear again, who was now staring back at him in fear. 

"I'll deliver your message. Now let her go." Rainkeeper demanded. 

"Ah, ah ah, she's your insurance. Deliver the message first, then come back and I'll let her go." Pineapple offered. Rainkeeper's eyes narrowed. 

"How do I know you won't hurt her?" he questioned. 

"Oh come on Rainkeeper, you know I'm a dragon of my word." she retorted. "Now deliver my message."

A Few Minutes Later....

Rainkeeper burst into his home, his eyes searching. Glory and Deathbringer glanced up and froze. There was pure terror written on his face. 

"Rainkeeper? What's wrong?" Glory asked gently. 

"Where's Joy?" he demanded, his eyes wild. 

"In her room." Deathbringer supplied. 

"What happened?" Rainkeeper ignored them, running towards Joy's room. He opened the door to see Joy and Nightflyer playing a board game. Nightflyer glanced up and jumped to his feet, pretending to be a silent bodyguard that would never even consider playing a board game with a royal princess he was supposed to be protecting. Joy also leapt to her feet, staring at her brother. 

"Rainkeeper? What happened?" she asked. He could barely make out the words. Deathbringer and Glory stood behind him, nervous about what they were about to hear. 

"It's Pineapple," he announced. "She's challenged you to a duel."

Later....

"She can't do this, there's got to be some law or something that stops it!" Glory exclaimed. Grandeur shook her head. 

"I'm sorry Glory, but there isn't. There's no law that prevents an heir challenge from happening." she confirmed. 

"I don't even understand this. What has Pineapple challenged her to?" Deahbringer asked. 

"Pineapple has called upon the heir challenge." Granduer explained. "It's like the Queen's challenge, but different. In it, all of the Queen's potential heirs fight. The last one left alive gets to be the next Queen. So, Pineapple and Joy are going to have to fight to the death, and the winner gets to be our next Queen." Glory slumped into a chair, burying her face in her talons. 

"There's got to be some other way," she pleaded. 

"I'm afraid there's not. Joy has to go through with the fight." Grandeur admitted. Deathringer closed his eyes. 

"And if she loses?" he asked softly.

 "I think you already know the answer to that." Glory let out a sob. It was unbelievable. They were basically sending their only daughter, their youngest child, to her death. It was too much to bear. "I'll go tell Joy." Grandeur offered, leaving them alone. 

Deathbringer slid a chair next to Glory and sat down, pulling her close. They stayed huddled like that, each of them lost in their own thoughts. 

"I guess there's only one thing we can do," Deathbringer said finally. 

"And what's that?" Glory asked weakly, leaning closer to him. 

"We have to make sure she doesn't lose." Deathbringer explained. "We have to train her."