chapter fifty-nine

Owen

As soon as I knew she was asleep, I gently laid her down and got up. Once I checked on the twins, I got my phone out and checked the time. Its one in the afternoon. I think that this is going to be happening often. My Lani-bear sleeping as much as she can, whenever she can. I smiled at the thought of her, she was my everything, along with the twins. My phone started to vibrate in my hand. I checked who it was before I answered, frowning. "Hello," I said.

"Hey," Elliott says. "How is she?"

"She's fine," I said, shutting the door quietly behind me. "What's up?" I asked, wondering why he's calling me.

"Her dad called yesterday and told me she wasn’t okay..."

"What?" I froze on the top of the stairs. "What did he say?"

"He said she was really upset."

"Did he say why she was upset?" I asked quietly.

"Something about the way she was acting."

I gritted my teeth. "Thanks for your concern, Elliott, but I have to go. Bye." I hung up before he could reply. Why did her dad say that? To Elliott of all people! He doesn’t want me with her, that has to be why.

I banged my head against the wall. "What's wrong, Owen?" I turned around to see Lani's mum frowning at me.

"Its nothing, just a bad phone call."

Her eyebrows furrowed as she took my arm, leading me down the stairs. "What was it about?"

"Lani's dad called Elliott and told him that she's upset. She's really happy, I can tell by her eyes." I say.

She frowned. "She doesn't seem upset."

"I know," I murmured, looking down at my hands.

She nodded. "I know, I can tell. I'll have a talk with her father, see what's going on in his head. Don't worry, Owen," she said, lifting my chin so I looked at her.

I nod. "Okay, thanks."

"Its no problem," she smiled. "She asleep?"

"Yeah, nearly five minutes after we sat down."

"Sounds like my girl." she says. "A lot like me when I had her. I slept quite a bit, though Lani might sleep more because its two instead of one."

I chuckled. "That's good to know," I told her. "Would you like help with lunch?"

She smiles. "Sure."

We talked about Lani, the twins and everything else we could think of. It felt weird at first but soon we were joking around until the sandwiches were ready. She then sends me up to check on Lani. She told me that if Lani is asleep to let her sleep and if she isn’t she needs to come down and eat. I opened the door and saw Lani sitting on the bed with Matt in her arms while Nicole was asleep in her crib. I smile and lean against the door.

"You're going to be big and handsome like your daddy," she said softly to Matt. "You look a lot like your daddy too."

I stepped into the room and shut the door behind me quietly. I sat down next to her and stroked Matt's cheek. "Hey, little man," I murmured before kissing Lani softly. "Hey."

"Hey baby." she smiles brightly at me before looking down at our son.

She nods. "Can you grab the baby monitor? Nicole is still asleep and I'm bringing Matt downstairs with me. Your going to be the spitting image of your father," she said softly before kissing his forehead.