Chapter Twenty

Chapter Twenty:

I take off running after him. My heart started pounding in my chest. Why did I have to tell him? Why was I so stupid? I could see he was going to blow up and I still told him! But I had to tell him. It hurt too much not to. I stop to catch my breath and look around. Elliott is nowhere in sight. I hit my forehead twice before I started running again. If he was already there, who knew what he was going to do to Owen?

It's as much fault yours as it is his, my mind whispered. It was right. I could of moved but I didn't. Not fully though. I also couldn’t move.

One part of me was saying it was my fault, the other part wasn't. I didn't know who to believe. I wanted to kick myself, here I was having a internal debate while Elliott is with Owen right now.

Everything with Owen did not feel right. I'm never going to be with him. The reason I'm debating is because he was my first.

By time I get to Owen's I was panting like an idiot. Elliott stood on the porch, his arms crossed, a angry expression on his face. Owen was in front of him, picture of ease. I stand there looking at them. Elliott looks like he's going to burst. I slowly make my way towards them, I was scared they would start a fight - because of me. I look between the two of them. If they fight they will both get hurt. Elliott stepped forward and Owen was against the wall, held by Elliott's forearm. My legs refused to move as I watched, mouth hung open, as Elliott punched Owen in the face.

Whoa.

“You need to learn to keep your hands off my girl!” Elliott yells. Owen didn't respond, just wiped over his mouth.

I put my hand on Elliott's shoulder. “El?” I could see him shaking, he was too annoyed right now to really do anything. "El, listen to me."

"Why did you tell him?" Owen looked at me. "I won't say I'm sorry because I don't regret doing it, but you told him, and let him come punch me? Does it suck that bad to kiss me?"

“He's my boyfriend, Owen! I love him!” I yell.

He cocked his head to the side so he hair fell across his face but I didn't miss the hurt look crossing his features. "Love? Lani, you don't know what love is. You're a teenager."

He had a point - as much as I hated to admit it - I didn't really know what love was. Me and Elliott could just lust after each other, but we wouldn't really know the difference - because we're young.

“Whether I know what it is or not, I have strong feelings for El and I want to be with him.”

"So you get him to come here and punch me for that one tiny kiss that meant nothing to you but you're getting so worked up about it?" He laughed without humor. "Great. Just great."

“I never told him to do anything.”

"You told him, that's bad enough." He shrugged and looked away. My heart thudded at his expression.

“He deserves to know, Owen!”

"Whatever. Gonna slap me as well? Otherwise I'll leave you love birds alone," he said, his tone less than friendly. He was pissed.

“You're an asshole, Owen. God I don't know how I was ever friends with you.”

Instantly I regretted it. His face showed nothing but hurt. "I'm sorry I was such a bad friend, Lani," he whispered before turning around and walking back in the house.

Why? Why did he have to make me say that?! I turn away from his house. Elliott wrapped his arm around my shoulder but I wanted to shake it off. I wanted to go home. I felt like crying. This time it seemed so official that me and Owen wouldn't be friends again. I dont shake his arm off because at the same time all I want is for him to be holding me.