chapter forty-eight

When I walked back into my room, Owen was sitting on the desk chair still but he had his coat on his lap and a blank expression on his face. I could tell he was thinking. I know what's in the coat pocket... Oh God is he going to propose? He ran a hand through his hair and sighed, throwing his coat back to it's original spot at the end of my bed. I frowned, what was wrong with him?

"Owen? Is something wrong?" I ask concerned.

He jumped and turned to look at me, plastering a smile on his face. "I'm fine."

"No you're not. That’s not a real smile and you just threw your coat."

With a sigh he scratched his arm and looked out the window. "Nothing's wrong. I'm fine, just thinking."

"You dont seem like it."

He shook his head once and rubbed his forehead. "I'm peachy, don't worry."

"No you aren’t. I can tell."

"Please drop it, Lani-bear," he mumbled, lifting his gaze to mine.

I put my hands up. "Fine." Was the idea of proposing to me that stressful? I mused as I sat on my bed and watched him. He had to have been thinking of doing it now.

"What do you want to do today?" He asked, finally breaking the silence and the blank look on his face.

"I dont know, we could work on the baby book, your part of it anyway."

He nodded and stood up. "Sure, come on then." I go to get up but fall back down onto the bed. "Whoa, you okay?" Owen stood by the bed and looked down at me, frowning. I nod. I'm going to have to get used to this.

Once I was on my feet, we headed downstairs to the living room. He grabs the book and hands it to me along with a pen. I sat down on the sofa with them and patted the spot next to me. Owen sits down and wraps his arm around me. We both looked down at the book and started to read. I write the name of the baby down and then mine and Owen's. The I turn the page and that’s the family tree, which we can work on later. The next page is about when the baby is born so I skip that one and go to the next. The next is about the parents. I smile, this we can work on.

"Okay, names," I said out loud, looking down at the book.

"My full name?" he asks.

"Yup." I smile.

"Shouldn't you know this?" He teased, poking the tip of my nose.

I roll my eyes jokingly. "Owen Edward Jennings."

He grinned and kissed me. "Glad you remember."

"Of course I do." I smile. "And mine, Lani Madison James."

He sighed and nuzzled his face in my neck. I felt my eyes widen when I heard him mutter, "Lani Madison Jennings." But I tried to act like I hadn't heard him. I write down our ages, then our birthdates. "What else do we have to answer?" He asked, putting his chin on my shoulder and looking down at the book.

"How we met."

He grinned. "It was so long ago," he said faintly, kissing my jaw.

"I know." I smile.

He moved his kisses along my jaw to my lips, pulling me against him. "I can imagine telling a six year old me that me and you would be together, how happy he would be," he said faintly, his eyes closed.

I smile and kiss the corner of his lips. "You loved me then?"

I saw his eyes widen and a small blush coloring his cheeks. "I, err, yeah," he cleared his throat and looked down.