chapter thirty-six

The sound of my alarm clock beeping made me roll over and hit the air until my hand connected with the little machine. I dont want to get up. I want to stay where I am. But no. I have to get up and get ready for school. I could hear Owen sighing from next to him.

"Owen, come on we have to get up."

"Can't we stay home today?" He muttered, covering his eyes with a pillow.

"No."

He grumbled. "No fun."

"We left early yesterday we have to go."

He sighed and lifted the pillow away from his face, his eyes staring up at the ceiling. "I'm too tired," he muttered, rubbing his eyes.

"You should have slept more."

He looked at me from the corner of his eye. "Sleep while making your pizza?" He asked, frowning.

I sigh. "We'll go in a little late. I'll go tell my mum and dad." I stood up and watched him rub his eyes, a frown on his face. I leave my room and head downstairs.

My parents were sitting at the table. "What were you two doing last night?" My dad asked, raising his eyebrow along with his coffee cup.

"What do you mean?" I ask confused.

"We heard you walking downstairs early in the morning," my mum told me. "Plus, we found pizza crust on the side."

"Oh, I wanted pizza so we made one."

"You made the poor boy get up at two in the morning so you could have pizza?" My mum raised her eyebrow. "No wonder he's still in bed."

"He was awake."

My dad put his newspaper down. "I'm sure he's tired, Lani."

"I know, dad."

"Are you two going to school today?" My mum asked, taking a cup out of the cupboard.

"I think we'll go in late, can you guys take me though?"

My mum nodded. "Okay, sure. Do you want some breakfast to take up to him?"

"He's probably sleeping." I say. I sit down at the table with them. "Everything is just...its bad." I put my head in my hands and try not to cry.

"What do you mean?" The chair next to me scraped as my mum sat down. "Honey?"

"Erica..."

"Erica?" She repeated, frowning.

"Yes," I say. "Owen and I cant do anything at school and we can barely talk. I...I dont know if I can handle it anymore." I rubbed under my eyes and sighed.

"Darling, does that mean you don't want to be with Owen?" My mum asked quietly, touching my arm.

"I want to, but," I sigh. "I don't think I can be with him. Erica and him are together even though he doesn’t want to be with her. I cant help but feel as if I'm just his best friend that he got pregnant." I start crying. The sound of shuffling behind me made me look over my shoulder to see Owen, a hurt expression covering his face.

"Owen..." I sob. He held his hand up and walked backwards. "Owen..." I say again, still crying.

"I need to go," he whispered, turning around and walking towards the hallway. I squeeze my eyes shut and break out crying even more.

"Let me talk to him," my dad said, standing up and following Owen outside.

My mum pulls me into her arms and says, "Lets get you to your room." She helps me upstairs and into my room. I lay down on my bed and tell my mum I want to be on my own. As soon as she left the room, I pulled the pillow Owen used against my chest and sobbed. I pull the covers up around me and curl up into a ball. I rub my belly. "I shouldn't have said that," I mumbled to myself. "Why did I have to be so stupid? It's obvious he does care for me more than a best friend." I wanted to hit myself. I rub my belly some more. "I'm sorry, baby." The sound of my door opening made me lift my head and look over. My vision is blurry from all the tears, I wipe the tears away.

"Come in," I murmured, turning over again. I hear the door close and feel the bed dip. "What?" I asked, my voice muffled.

"Hey, honey." Dad. He starts to rub my back. I nodded my head and didn't say anything. "Come here," he murmured, pulling me into his arms and hugging me close. I hold onto him and cry.

"You've got me and your mother, kiddo," he said quietly, rubbing my arm.

I nod. "What do I do daddy?"

"You have to decide that for yourself, kiddo," he told me softly.

I bury my head in his chest. "What happened outside?"

I felt him sigh. "We spoke."

"About what?" I asked, looking up at him. "Dad?"

"We spoke about what you said, that's all."

"And what?" I pressed, frowning. He doesn’t say anything. "Dad, please tell me."

He sighed. "Lani, we just spoke, okay?"

"No, tell me." I pulled away from him. "Dad, come on."

"Lani."

"Dad, please." I stood up when he didn't say anything. "Fine. He might not be talking to me now, but I'll just go find out."

"Lani." Mum says. "What are you doing?"

"Going to talk to Owen," I snapped. "Dad won't tell me what they spoke about, I'll go find out myself."

"Lani Annabel James! You are not going anywhere!"

It was too late, I was already out the door, tugging my coat on. "I'll be back soon!" I shouted over my shoulder, speed walking down the road towards Owen's.

"Lani!" My mum yells. Once I was far enough, I slowed down and took a deep breath. He wasn't that much further.