chapter forty-seven

When I wake up I have to pee, really badly. I carefully climbed out of Owen's arms and speed walked to the bathroom. Once I'm done I wash my hands and fix my pony tail. I stood in the doorway of my room for a moment, watching Owen pull a pillow against his chest and furrow his eyebrows in his sleep. Awe, that’s too cute. I felt a frown tug at my lips as the lights flicker and the wind picks up outside. Then the power goes out. Great.

With a sigh I push off the wall and pick up Owen's coat, intent on finding his phone to check the time. I bring it with me over to a chair and sit down fishing through the pockets. With a square object in my hand, I pull it out and look down at it. It definitely wasn't his phone. Its hard to tell what it is without the light so I open it. My eyes widen and I instantly drop it. A ring. A engagement ring. Holy shit he was serious. I shoved it back in his pocket as he starts to stir on the bed. I just sit there. Whoa.

"Hey," Owen said, his voice husky from sleep. "Why's it so dark?"

"The power went out because of the storm."

"Oh," he nodded. "Is that my phone?" He pointed to the little black object in my hand, I nodded and waved it in the air. His eyes flicked to his coat and back to me. "Did you, er, see anything else in there?"

"Something fell out but I just put it back in. Its too dark to see anything." I lie.

He nodded and I could see him breath out in relief. "Okay, what's the time?"

"Its noon."

"Really? Wait, how long have you been awake?" He sat up straighter and frowned.

"Not long, ten minutes at the most."

He opened his arms and patted the bed. "Coming back to bed?" I nod and try to get up, but its hard. I frown. "You okay?" He asked, dropping his arms and mimicking my frown.

"I cant get up." He walked over to me and helped me to my feet. "Thanks," I muttered, lowering my gaze.

"Lani-bear, what’s wrong?"

"I can't even stand up on my own," I mumbled, feeling tears sting my eyes.

He wraps his arms around me, hugging me. "Its okay Lani-bear."

I sighed and buried my face in his neck. "Imagine if you weren't here, I wouldn't have been able to get up!"

"Shh." he rubs my back and I feel him pick me up and carry me over to my bed. I take a deep breath through my nose and let it out slowly. I needed to be stronger than this. "Lani-bear, you're six months pregnant, and you're smaller than most its okay for it to be hard."

I nodded and closed my eyes. "I know, I need to get use to it." He kisses my forehead and just holds me. I nudged him so we laid down and I lightly kissed his neck. I move closer to him, just wanting to be near him. He stroked my hair softly and murmured the words to our song, making a soft smile spread across my face.

"Ow." My hand goes to my belly.

"Lani-bear?" Owen leaned up and looked at me. "What's wrong?"

"Ow." I rub my belly and smile.

He hovered over me. "Lani-bear?"

"Yes?"

"What's wrong?" He placed his hand on my stomach and met my gaze.

"She kicked." I smile. I could see his eyes light up as he moved his hand on my stomach. Before I could say anything else, he was leaning down and kissing me. I kiss him back and smile. He buried his face in my neck and I could feel his grin. Now that she was kicking, I knew he wouldn't move his hands from my stomach. I feel her kick again, she must know her daddy is right here.

I felt tears well up in my eyes. "It's not long to go," I murmured, running my hand through Owen's hair.

"A little over three months left."

I nodded and kissed his cheek. "Three months until we have our baby girl laying with us." He rubs my belly and kisses it.

"Lani? Are you home?" I hear my mum call out. I slowly sit up and walk over to the door.

"Yeah I am. Guess what?" I called out, smiling, intent on telling her about Nicole kicking.

"What sweetie?"

"She started kicking," I told her, biting my lip to stop myself from smiling too much.

"She did?" I can hear the smile in her voice.

"She did." I confirmed, grinning. My mum hugged me close to her.

"That's wonderful sweetie." she smiles.

"I know." I felt a tear slip down my cheek. She kissed my cheek and ruffled my hair.

"I'm guessing Owen is probably spinning around on your desk chair right now?" She asked, walking over to my doorway.

"I dont know." I smile. I followed her to my room and hid my smile as we watched Owen spinning around on my desk chair, a goofy smile on his face. I giggle. Mum was right. Owen stopped moving and looked over at us, his eyes glazed. I walk over to him. He opened his arms for me, a smile on his face. I walk into his arms and sit on his lap, beaming.

I heard my mum clear her throat. "Well, I guess that's my cue to leave. Behave. I'll get some food ready for a little later." I blush a bit and hear her close the door.

Owen ran his finger tips along my waist. "Did you tell her?"

I nod. "I did."

"What did she say?" He asked, running his lips along my jaw.

"She's happy."

He smiled. "I doubt she can be more happy than I am right now," he said quietly, looking down.

"Owen!"

"What?" He blinked and looked up.

"She's kicking and I have to go to the bathroom."

His eyes were still wide but he nodded. "Okay? Unless you want me to come with you...?" He chuckled.

"You wont let go and I cant get up." I tell him. He held his hands up and frowned. "Can you help me up?" He nodded and pushed me to my feet, watching me waddled to the door. "Thanks." I smile and rush to the bathroom.