chapter thirty-nine

"I said, what is going on here?" My dad folded his arms over his chest and narrowed his eyes.

"We were just kissing that's all." I say quietly.

"Get dressed and leave, Owen," my dad said, stepping backwards, almost out the room.

"Dad." I say.

"I told you, Lani. No funny business and I come back to this. Owen, leave." I looked at Owen, who looked embarrassed and didn't know what to do.

"But dad-"

"No buts‘, Lani." I sighed and scowled at my dad. Why was he being like this?

"Fine. I'll go with him as well then."

"No, you're staying here."

"Owen leaves, I leave," I told him, folding my arms over my chest. He was acting stupid. Owen was my best friend, boyfriend and my baby's daddy, he wasn't going anywhere.

"Lani Annabel James you are not leaving this house."

"You can't stop me," I told him, standing up. I grabbed some clothes and tugged them on.

"You aren’t leaving Lani."

"What are you going to do to stop me?" I narrowed my eyes as I met my fathers gaze. "If you don't let me go with him, he's staying here."

"Lani you’re not leaving and he is and that is final!"

"You cannot stop me." I grabbed Owen's clothes and threw them at him. "Get dressed, we are leaving."

"Lani." my father says. "You are not leaving."

"Where's mum? I'm talking to her." I slipped my fingers through Owen's and pulled him through the door. I could tell he didn't want to disobey my dad but he didn't want to leave me. I drag him with me downstairs. "Mum!"

"Yes, dear?" My mum appeared in the kitchen doorway, wiping her hand on a towel.

"Dad is trying to make Owen leave."

"Why?" She frowned and looked over my shoulder.

"He came in and..."

"And what Lani?" she asks looking at me.

I breathed out through my nose. "Me and Owen were just kissing, mum."

She sighed. "And he thought you two were-?" I nodded. "Oh boy. Okay, where are you two going then?" She asked, eyeing the shoes in my hand.

"Dad told Owen to leave so I said I'm going with him then told me I cant leave."

"Go into the living room," she told us. "I'll talk to your father."

I nod. "Okay mum."

Owen sat down on the edge of the sofa I sat down close to him. "I should have listened to your father," he said quietly, dropping his head into his hands.

"No, I want you to stay." I tugged his hands away from his face and kissed the corner of his mouth. "You leave, I leave," I told him, meeting his gaze.

"But Lani-bear..."

"But what, Owen?" I let out a ragged sigh. "Do you not want me to come with you?"

"I don't want you to get in trouble with your parents."

"I don't care," I murmured, running my finger along his jaw. "You matter so much to me, Owen. I don't want you to leave."

"He's your dad, Lani-bear."

"And you are my boyfriend," I countered. "My best friend and my baby's daddy."