Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen:

The week passed by more quicker than usual. Owen hung out with me, Elliott and Jake sometimes - much to the boys dismay. But I was just happy I have my best friend back, mostly. As Elliott pointed out, I had a bad feeling about spending the night tonight. I dont know why, but I do.

"Hey, Lani-bear," Owen appeared besides my locker and smiled. "Ready for tonight?"

“Yeah.”

He put his arm out. "Let's go." I close my locker and follow him. When we arrive at his, his mum greets me with a big hug and a scolding that I haven’t visited lately.

“Sorry, I've been busy.”

She nods her head and sighs. "What are you two having for dinner?"

“Pizza?” Owen says and I nod.

His mum rolls her eyes. "Fine, don't have your wonderful mothers cooking. Have some take out food that doesn't compare to mine." I cover my mouth to stifle my laugh. “Mum.” he says.

"And that's my cue to leave," she grins at me and disappears into the kitchen.

"Sorry, she's been acting strange since my dad left for business a few days ago."

“Its okay, she probably just misses him.” He nods his head and gestures for me to go ahead up the stairs. I walk up the stairs and head to his room. I frown to myself as I stand in his doorway. This night was going to be a long one if I didn't try and feel comfortable. We wanted to get back to our old ways but yet I was being too stiff, too non-me. Though I dont think I can sleep in the same bed with him. I cant and I wont.

"You okay?" Owen appeared behind me, his arms wrapped around my waist. Just as fast as they appeared, they disappeared. "Sorry," he mumbled, walking further into the room.

Having his arms around my waist, even for a second...it just didn’t feel right. “Yeah, I'm fine.”

He nods his head and sits down on the bed. "I ordered pizza. It should be here soon."

I nod. “Okay.”

A silence settles over us, and I don't know how to break it. I sit at the end of the bed and look around his room. A picture blue tacked above his bed catches my eye.

“What's that?” I ask.

"Ah... Nothing," he gives me a sheepish smile. I stand up and nudge him over to get a better look.

"When was this taken?" I ask him, my voice barely above a whisper.

“Uh…”

“When?”

"Last summer," he smiled as he looked at the photograph. I watched him, his face took on a boyish look as he looked at the photo - it made him look young, and adorable.

“Oh.” I say.

"Don't you like it?" He looked at me as he plucks it down from the wall and placed it on his lap.

“I forgot all about that.”

"You forgot about us last going on holiday last year?" He frowned and ran his finger along the edge of the photo.

“A little.”

He shook his head. "Great. Don't tell my mum, she'll hate you for it. She loved that holiday, her and your mum were so set that by the end-" he stopped and frowned. "Nothing."

“Tell me.”

"It was nothing. Ask her if you want to know," he looked to the side and avoided my gaze. "You honestly don't remember the holiday? It was probably one of the best experiences I've had."

“It hasn’t been on my mind.” I say, “A lot has happened lately.” He nodded his head, smiled down at the photo before putting it back up on the wall. "Why do you keep it up there?" I ask after silently watching him.

“Its always been there Lani-bear.”

"It has?" I frowned and tried to remember if I've seen it up there when I use to come round all the time.

"You forgot?" He said in a flat voice but I could see the teasing in his eyes.

“I haven’t been here in awhile.”

He sighed and ran a hand over his face. "I get the feeling that you don't even want to be here, Lani-bear. Everything I say, you seem to shoot it down and give me a flat look. I'm trying, okay?"

“I'm sorry.” I close my eyes. I really am. I want it to work but its hard.

He patted the spot next to him. "I really don't want this to be awkward, Lani. I miss our friendship so much. I want everything back to normal - or as normal as its going to get."

“Me too.” I say sitting down.

He hovers his arm above my shoulders. "Is this okay?"

I nod and he puts his arm around me, pulling me to his side. Maybe it won't be as awkward as I thought it would be. I rest my head on his shoulder and sigh.

"Let's forget about everything outside of these four walls and have a good night, yeah?" He smiled down at me.

I nod. “Okay.”

He grins. "Great. Let's start with..."