Ch 25

Self-esteem song:

Keep your Head Up - Andy Grammer

"Gotta keep your head up, oh, and you can let your hair down, ayy"

"Only rainbows after rain, the sun will always come again, it's a circle, circling, around again, it comes around again"

-

Marcel Pov

-

"Where's Jackie? What happened? What'd you do?" Niall and Liam interrogate me as I attempted to rush past them when I was back on the school ground. But they firmly stood their ground in front of the door.

"I-I.. she's on her way I think." I stumble.

I left so quick I'm not even sure she left the ground. I'm such a jerk, the least I could've done is helped her up. I wonder what she's thinking right now. Probably about how much of a failure I am.

"You think? C'mon you had one task Marcel." Niall sighs.

"She's coming." I repeat to him.

"Did you guys at least make-out?" Liam asks. "Tell me you guys at least did that."

"W-What?" My hands began shaking even more, "Of course not! She's my friend, guys. Nothing else. I told you that. I don't like her, okay?" I rush out at them.

Niall and Liam both share the same confused expression as they wrinkle their eyebrows at me, "Yeah? And friends make-up all the time. That's what friends do."

"Y-You said make-out."

"No... I didn't. I said make-up." Liam looks at me like I'm crazy.

Because maybe I just am.

"Oh."

"What happened?" He asks me.

"Nothing! Why do you assume something happened?"

Liam raised his eyebrow at me and Niall's eyes were focused down at my trembling fingers.

"Well. Because one, you know you're a horrible liar. Two, It's pretty obvious."

"Nothing happened. I didn't do anything. Why are you interrogating me?" I pull at the neck of my sweater. It's gotten hot all of a sudden.

"Marcel..." Niall says slowly in a scolding mother-like tone. "What happened?"

I shake my head vigorously. "I-I.. we just.. a-and.. I almost.." I began to stutter helplessly over my words.

"Okay, fine." Liam starts, "If you won't tell us, maybe Jackie will." he points at the familiar red car that just pulled into it's usual reserved spot in a front parking space.

I found myself staring at her as she stepped out of her car. Her hair fell over her face when she bent over to grab her things from the seat. She flipped it out of her face when she stood and closed the door. But it fell back when she let her head fall as her eyes focused downwards at her feet, kicking rocks on the way.

I was snapped out of my trance when I finally felt Niall's piercing gaze into the side of my head. I turned to look at him and found him staring shamelessly at my face with a smirk. I blushed when I realized I had been caught staring. I quickly turned my head away from him, and it was then that I caught sight of Liam. My eyes widened as I realized he was walking in Jackie's direction.

She had just looked up and noticed him right as I ran in his direction. She waved to him and he was in the middle of smiling and waving back when I rushed up and grabbed his arm, hurriedly yanking him away further from her.