Ch 23

Self-esteem song:

Just the Way You Are - Bruno Mars

"Oh you know, you know, you know I'd never ask you to change, if perfect's what you're searching for then just stay the same"

-

Jackie Pov

-

"Honey, are you going to talk to Marcel today?" My mum quietly asks as she enters my room.

I fasten my right sandle and look up at her with an annoyed expression. "For the thousandth time, no mom."

"It's been 3 days, why are you avoiding him?" She sits down on the end of my bed as I load up my bag with my school books.

"I'm not, okay? I told you, he's avoiding me." I explain.

"That's not what it seems to me." She says.

"Well that's how it is mom. He's been ignoring me completely."

"So why don't you go talk to him? Have you apologized?"

"Well- no.."

She shakes her head, "That's where you need to start. Tell him your sorry and explain how you meant no harm. I told you we're having that get together with his family this afternoon, and you need to make-up so you two won't be uncomfortable around eachother. Why don't you offer to take him to school again and then maybe try striking up a conversation?"

I sigh, "Mom it's not that.. I can't just.." I struggle to put into words something I don't even fully comprehend. "I gotta go or I'll be late for school." I tell her, lifting up my purse onto my shoulder and grabbing my bag.

She nods, sensing I don't want to speak of the subject anymore. "Alright," she stands up and hugs me, "Pay attention in class. I love you."

I nod, "Love you." I turn and leave my room. I quickly jog down the stairs, grabbing my keys off the hook on the way, I jog outside and shut the door behind me.

I unlock my doors and step in. I crank the car and quickly am on my way. I can't help it as I find myself slowing when in front of his house. I bite my lip in hesitation but end up gaining the courage to step out of my car.

I jog up to their door and hesitantly knock on the front door of his house. What if he opened the door, saw it was me, and slammed the door in my face again? We haven't spoken for 3 days, was that his way of saying he's not my friend anymore? I sigh, turning around to go back to my car before I can be even more embarrassed. But the door is then pulled open.

"Jackie, love, where are you going?" Anne's sweet voice calls and I turn around.

"I- Well I was just- um- Is Marcel in?" I stumble.

"Oh! No, I'm sorry to say he isn't honey. I told him he should go over and catch a ride with you today. But Marcel and my car is gone so I guess he chose not to." She informs and my mouth runs dry.

Of course he didn't, he hates me.

"Does this mean you and him are.. not on speaking terms still?" She asks frowning.

I gulp and look down. "O-Oh um.." I lightly shake my head to her, attempting to muster up a smile to ease the moment but I fail. I'm far too hurt by all this to comfort anyone else right now.

Her expression shifts to a frowning nature of sympathy. She opens her mouth to respond to me but I speak before she can.

"I should go. To school, y'know? The bell is going to ring soon. I don't want to be late." I tell her and she nods slowly.