Chapter Nine. Computer hacker

CHAPTER NINE 

Scott made another call to Emily and again it went into her voicemail. He didn't want to appear desperate, although he actually felt it. His fourth call over four days. 

He reflected on the events last Sunday. They had returned to his flat, two minutes from Le Pont de la Tour, having experienced Emily's hand under the table. She had wanted sex and she was a willing partner, willing to be scolded for being naughty, willing to be given punishment. Or so he thought. Scott realised he must have miscalculated her need; he had gone too far with his spanking; had lost control of himself. Then his bleeper had called him to the hospital to perform an emergency operation and he dashed out of his flat. Had left Emily dozing on the bed.

When Scott returned from the hospital, Emily had gone. No note. Nothing. At first, Scott had assumed she had got bored waiting for his return. But after two texts, he began to get the message that Emily must have been upset. He wanted to talk to her, find out, make amends and apologise.

Scott opened his laptop and checked his emails. There was one from Nicki, and Scott remembered he had operated on her knee and she had been discharged as fit. He also remembered Emily had mentioned Nicki during their tea at the Ritz. They were friends.

Nicki's email said, 'hope you don't mind. Got your email from hospital records. Do you fancy a drink?'

Scott thought back to some playful talk they had had just before Nicki left hospital; a suggestion they might meet up sometime. Would this be a way to find out more about Emily, wondered Scott?

He sent an email back. The return email from Nicki sealed their meeting for the following day.

His laptop indicated his favourite online chat room was in full swing. He connected to the forum on adult chats and let the next two hours slide past until it was time to go to bed. Scott wasn't happy with this side of his life. The chats were between adults looking for sexual information and sharing experiences. In his normal disciplined work life, Scott remained in complete control, the perfect surgeon, trusted by everyone. But here, in the privacy of his home, he became a prisoner of the addiction to hard dom sex-talk with strangers, like it was some sort of weird drug. Scott knew the signs of needing more, but didn't want to get off the merry-go-round. He felt he was in trouble.

-O-

Emily sat at her kitchen table with her laptop, Jessica beside her. The rain kept a constant drumming against the window, the droplets of water sparkled from the night time, street lights outside. Inside, Emily's mobile buzzed on the worktop next to the toaster. Jessica went over to see who was calling.

'It's lover boy. Shall I pick up?' Jess appeared to know what the answer would be and had already moved away.

Emily ignored it and said, 'do you know my father left me with a bank account? Before he died, he transferred it into my name.' 

'Oh, have you got a hidden stash?' She leaned over Emily's shoulder to have a look at the screen.

'About £100.' 

'Looks like a foreign bank.'

'A Swiss bank account. One of these secret accounts that can only be accessed if you have the code number and password.' Emily didn't tell Jess she had changed the name of the account to the name of the dummy company she had placed in the computer at the Department of Health.

Jessica asked, 'does secret mean, nobody can get to see it?'

'If the account paid interest, the Swiss would have to notify the Inland Revenue, but since this does not pay interest . . .' Emily let the statement hang in the air.