Chapters 34 and 35

Chapter 34

Rikki breathed. This was it. Her husband held her hand for support as they walked into the trailer where she lived all those years ago.

"Dad?"

"Hey sweetheart," he came into the main room of the trailer.

"Dad, I've got something to tell you..."

"Shoot."

She took adeep breath. "You have got to promise not to tell anyone. It could put me in a lot of danger."

"Sure. You've got my trust," he looked at her quizzically.

"Okay."she took another deep breath. "I'm a mermaid. I know it sounds weird but I am."

He chuckled then seeing her expression stopped. "You're being serious?"

"Yes Dad. Do you want a demonstration?"

"Okay...?"

Zane went and got her a glass of water. Rikki sat down on the couch. Her heart beat rapidly.

She poured it over her arm. "Please don't freak"

Ten seconds later she transformed, her body glistening from the water along it, her scales sparkling in the evening light. He gasped.

"Wow. Thats amazing," he said as he took in his daughter. "How long have you been like this?"

"About nine years..."

"Seriously?"

"Yeah..." she winced, "Sorry 'bout that..."

"I did suspect something, since you never wanted to go surfing with me like you used to and you were terrified of water and never did the dishes or swum even on the hottest days...this makes some things make sense..."

Rikki went on to demonstrate her powers to him. He was very impressed by her power over lightning. Overall he wasnt too fussed.

... () ()...() ()...

Meanwhile at Cleo and Lewis' house...

"Hey Cleo, look at what I found," Lewis said bringing a stack of papers to her desk (which was in the room designated as their office. )

"What is it?" Cleo asked looking up from her Dolphin Research.

"Its Denman's research on 'you-know-what.' We never looked at it and I must'veplaced it in my filing cabinet"

"I did wonder where that got too... Anything good in it?"

"I havn't properly looked at it, but I think there are notes on the tests she did on you and theories etc. Wanna look now?"

"Yeah." Cleo pushed aside her papers.

"Hey, listen to this one; If any of these girls want to have children the offspring have a very high chance of having the same DNA, causing the same effects throughout the systems of cells. The genes passed on through their parent would override the human parent's genes. The mermaid genes may be diluted by the human's but it would be near impossible for the child not have any of the cells that mutate on contact with water."

"So they're going to be a mermaid?" Cleo said placing a hand over her belly.

"Thats what this says,"

"Very interesting..."

The couple learnt more about mermaids and their genes based on Denman's research, along with confirmation of somethings they already knew. They learnt that their bloodtypes, cells and other bodily organs were all slightly different to that of a humans'. Apparently their bloodtypes was something that Denman had only ever seen in a dolphin. It, according to her notes, was a cross between a human bloodtype and a one of the x-rays Denman took she deducted that the mermaids had bigger lungs and special pockets in their tails so when in their mermaid form, it would spur them to be able to hold their breaths for much longer than a regular human being. They learnt that their stamina as humans was very high and their stamina as mermaids was even higher.