Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Somewhere in the Ocean, a few days later...

Anna and Ben swam hand in hand manoeuvring quickly in loop de loops and other mermaid swim patterns. Zane and Ash were leaning over the side of Zane's boat talking to their girlfriends. Lewis and Cleo were swimming slowly together, Lewis in his scuba gear looking painfully bulky next to his slim mermaid wife who was gliding smoothly though the water.

After a few more hours of swimming and resting in the boat and in Mako Island's moon pool, they all decided to go back to the secret beach for a picnic.

Rikki and Cleo had packed that picnic earlier and trusted it to Zane in the boat. They were both very surprised that nothing was missing.

"Is this safe?" Lewis asked cautiously looking at Rikki.

"Hey!" Rikki said giving him the evil eye.

He quickly began to eat the sandwich in question.

There was ginger beer, sandwiches, and baking, and anything else you can imagine.

"They had really gone all out," as Anna would put it, "It was a pity that Will and Bella weren't there."

They ate, laughed and chatted. After a while Zane asked Rikki if they could go somewhere private so they could talk.

Cleo gave her a confused look. Rikki just shrugged and got up to go with Zane. After walking a good distance from the group, Zane stopped and turned to Rikki.

"Shoot" she said to him.

Suddenly he kissed her; she was taken by surprise and took a step back.

"Are you in love with me?" Zane asked with a worried tone in his voice.

"Of course I love you, I've told you this before," Rikki replied puzzled.

Zane seemed to relax for a second. He took her hands.

"Rikki, I have been doing some thinking, and I've come to the conclusion that I can't live without you," He babbled

"Zane, spit it out, speak like a normal person," Rikki told him.

"...okay..." He breathed then dropped to one knee.

A scream rang out.

"That's Rikki!" Cleo exclaimed, the group scrambled up in the direction of where they saw Zane and Rikki go.

Meanwhile...

After she screamed she stood there motionless, her jaw hanging open. Zane was mortified. His hopeful face turned into a frown and he looked down. Recovering from her shock she reached out her hand and turned his disappointed face back to her.

"Yes" she said softly

"What?" Zane asked; the light coming back into his eyes.

"You heard me; I'm not gonna say that again."

He beamed at her and pulled her into a kiss before hugging her tightly and spinning her round as if she were as light as a feather.

She returned his smile and laughed.

"Oh, I almost forgot something," Zane said. He pulled out a ring.

"That is one very large rock," Rikki stated. Normally she would've told him to keep anything like this, but since it symbolised his love for her, she didn't make any protest and he slipped the ring onto her finger.

Just at this moment the couple's friends ran into the clearing.

"Are you okay?" Emma asked before taking in the situation.

"Yeah...I'm absolutely fine as you can see..."

"Oh, but we heard a scream," Anna said.

"Oh," Rikki turned the same colour as her shirt, "Yeah..."

Once they found out that the two of them were engaged, congratulations were offered and everyone was very surprised.

"I didn't know that Zane was so committed," Lewis murmured to Cleo. She just shrugged.