Chapter 24

Chapter 24

The Hospital, the next day...

The girl in the hospital bed had been bandaged up and was currently reguvenating back to health, a drip was in her arm flowing the nutrients she had been denied over her time in captivity. She had been asleep for a straight day and hadn't been up to visitors until now. Rikki's leg was in a plaster cast; apprently she had broken her ankle and fractured her cuneiform bone when she had jumped from the window. All the running she had done on it had made it worse.

She sat up against her pillows groggily as the door burst open.

Zane came bursting in, followed slowly by the others.

"Rikki! How are you feeling, are you okay? What did they do? I thought I'd lost you," Zane exclaimed as he rushed over to her bedside.

"Aw, did you?" She said sarcastically. She softened after this and gushed, "I missed you too," Anyone could tell that she was very glad to see him and the kissed lovingly.

"It's good to have you back," Zane said

"Hey Rikki, how you felling?" Cleo said as she walked over to the bed.

"A lot better thanks, I'm still sore but yeah,"

"You should have seen how out of his mind Zane was with worry for you," Anna said to Rikki, Zane blushed sheepishly.

"Aw, Zaney boy missed me," Rikki said ruffling his hair.

"Anyway, how did you do this?" Emma asked gesturing to her leg

"Ah...I jumped out a window..."

Rikki told the others about her daring escape and what had happened.

The Police Interrogation after Rikki had been released from hospital (her vitals back to normal)...

"What happened?"

"I was walking home..."

"Details please?" asked the young officer interrupting,

"Fine. I was walking casually back from the cafe that me and my fiance have partnership in, to our two story house five minutes from the cafe on the waterfront..."

"Not that many details,"

"Hey, just doing what was asked of me, did you change your mind?" Rikki said

"Yes. Just get on with it," The officer said in defeat.

"Okay then, anyway I was kidnapped; I think they used chloroform or something on me, as I woke up with a thumping headache tied to a chair. U was kept in that cold room for three days, given no food or warmth, and one drink of water a day. I managed to escape by," she paused as if collecting her thoughts, "breaking the ropes and jumping out a window a few stories up from my prison cell and then I ran for miles and miles after their 4x4's tyres popped mysteriously, ending up in that dairy in Grafton." Rikki had paused because she couldnt exactly tell them that she had used mermaid powers to escape.

"Miss Chadwick do you have any idea where you were held that may held us in finding them?"

"Nope,"

"Could you tell me how you got so far if you had broken your ankle?" he said gesturing to her cast

"Ah, I guess you could say it was adrenaline, officer,"

Weeks later they had found the counterfeiters-gone-kidnappers and arrested the lot. Rikki and the others were happily united and Zane would not let Rikki out of his sight until he finally felt assured that she wasnt about to disappear again any time soon.

Rikki hobbled around on her crutches earning herself blisters, so Zane made sure she stayed in the manager's office rather than have her do much work. The group often found Rikki trying to leave as she felt useless, but they managed to keep her – somehow, maybe because she liked the attention.

Since Rikki had broken her ankle and fractured her foot, when she first tried to swim she couldnt. Her tail finwould barely budge, but when it did it would hurt –a lot. When she examined her tail on 'their beach' her left side of her tail fin looked rather bent and there were a few scales missing further up. It turned out that she couldnt swim at all until she was healed. Since Rikki couldnt swim, this made her very irritable. Zane just put up with this like a good boyfriend. He was just happy she was safe and sound, back with him, oh and with the others of course.

Other than Rikki recovering from her injuries, everything went back to normal.

When Rikki's skin healed there remained large scars where the deepest cuts were on her face. As she would put it; 'it was a permanent memory of the event that she would have with her for ever,'