Chapters 15 and 16

Chapter 15

"Dad, I'm fine really," she said trying to get him to stop coming, she hear him continue.

"Dad, please don't freak out, please..."

He gasped as he took in her orange scaly tail.

"What...how...how is this even possible?" He asked different emotions displayed on his face, his eyes wide.

"It's a long story Dad..."

Kim, Sam and Lewis had now arrived. Kim's eyes widened and her jaw dropped. Sam was just mute with amazement. Lewis went and grabbed her a towel with which she dried herself, and her family saw her change. They all went back to the dinner table.

"You have a lot of explaining to do young lady,"

"You mustn't tell anyone Dad, all of you; you know what they'd do."

Reluctantly her family agreed to keep her secret.

"I didn't mean for you to find out this way, I had planned to tell you but was discouraged," Cleo said looking at Lewis.

"Anyway, I have been a mermaid for around eight years now…"

EIGHT YEARS!" Don cried indignantly

"Sorry," Cleo winced, "We, I mean 'I' have this amazing power," she continued after a brief pause. Lewis went and got a glass of water, knowing what she was about to demonstrate.

After it was placed on the table Cleo began moulding the liquid. First she moulded it into a tentacle, reaching to the ceiling, and then moulded it into a large ball moving it around in the air. Soon after she placed it back into the glass gently to lessen the splashing.

Her family were amazed. Lewis just smiled. Cleo led them outside; she caused the wind to blow extremely strongly.

"Are you doing that too?" Kim asked in awe

"Yup, she sure is," Lewis said proudly

"I knew I found something in that diary of yours…" Kim muttered

Once again seated around the table Cleo explained her story whilst eating their belated dinner. She left out information such as the fact that she wasn't the only one; that her friends were mermaid too. She just said that they had found out the secret a while back.

"I can see how you wanted to keep this secret so you coukld remain safe, but I wish you had told us. We would've kept your secret," Don said in a hurt voice, "Or at least I would," he looked at Kim.

"Hey"

"A lot of things make sense now…" Don continued

"Now I know why you always paid me to do the dishes, and always spent so long in the bathroom and …" Kim deciphered, "Hey, whenever my drink bottle or the sink exploded randomly into my face, that was you wasn't it…" Kim asked

"Yeah…ah…sorry Kim" Cleo said sheepishly

"I can see I won't be getting away with that again" Cleo muttered

"What was that Cleo?"

"Oh, nothing, nothing..."

______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 16

The Moon Pool – the next day…

The five mermaids and merman sat around the crowded moon pool, their tails collecting together in the centre.

"What was so urgent?" Emma asked casually

"Uh…my parents found out…" Cleo said in a small voice

"WHAT!" Rikki exclaimed

"I didn't exactly tell them; Kim spilt water on me at dinner last night and I couldn't get away in time. Don't worry they're not going to tell. Besides, when I told them all about my power, I didn't mention you guys at all, only that you know the secret."

They all breathed a sigh of relief.

"Thanks for protecting us," Anna said.

In the weeks after this event, every time Don and Cleo met up, he seemed a lot more protective. She had to assure him that she had been fine for over eight years numerous times.

Butterflies filled Bella's stomach as she woke up in the spare bedroom in Cleo and Lewis' house

Today was the day.

The sun shone down illuminating the bride as she walked down the aisle between the guests, the sand getting between her toes. Her light white dress was lowing gently in the breeze. It was a very casual wedding. Next to the celebrant, Will was standing, dressed casually in a light but tidy suit. Bella was beaming as she made her way nervously to the front. Her younger sister, Georgia, was the flower girl, sprinkling white rose petals onto the sand, just in front of Ellie, Bella's other younger sister; she was a bridesmaid, holding a bouquet of roses. It seemed like ages before she reached the end of her walk. She stood smiling next to her soon-to-be husband, butterflies coursing through her body.

"Do you take Isabella Louise Hartley to be you lawfully wedded wife?"

"I do,"

"Do you take William Carlos Benjamin to be your lawfully wedded husband?"

"I do," Bella said with enthusiasm.

They kissed and the small congregation of close friends and family cheered. Sophie had flown back from Perth for the wedding. Luckily she didn't make any disturbances and she was very happy for Will.

"What makes you happy makes me happy," she had said to the newlyweds.

The couple were going to go on their honeymoon to Fiji for a few weeks. Bella decided she'd be fine around the water there, and the two of them could take wonderful swims out on the reefs that no one went to.

"Will, the water's beautiful!" Bella exclaimed looking longingly at the water.

"We'll go out there later, Bella," Will said kissing her, "But we've gotta check in first,"

"Alright then," She followed dutifully taking his hand.