Chapter 14

Chapter 14

A week later...

As soon as Cleo arrived off the plane the girls bombarded her with questions Lewis was just chatting to the guys.

"It was perfect," was Cleo's answer.

Life got back to normal after that, the only difference was that Cleo was now Mrs McCartney. According to her, it took a lot of getting used to.

The mer-group resumed their frequent swims.

Cleo and Lewis' house – a few weeks later...

"Lewis, I think it's about time I told my parents..." Cleo stated

"About what?" Lewis asked looking up from his research. She looked at him with her eyebrows raised. He soon got the hint.

"Oh..."

"Yeah"

"But Cleo, that's too dangerous, and what will the others think, especially Emma..."

"I'm 23 Lewis, I can look after myself, and besides I have you to protect me night and day, also I don't have to tell them about the others..." Cleo said firmly.

Lewis had no answer to this and the hard stare of his wife was too much.

"Fine," he said defeated, "You can tell them but you have to talk to the others first. I think this is a very bad idea,"

"Yes, Lewis dear." Cleo said. She said the word 'dear' with too much enthusiasm making Lewis feel mocked. She kissed him on the cheek. This made him feel much better.

"Have I ever told you I love you?" Cleo asked cheekily

Cleo rang everyone up and so they met at Rikki's cafe after work. (For Rikki and Zane it was during work, but still)

"So, I was thinking, maybe it's about time we spilt the secret to our parents..." Cleo said, "What do you guys think?"

It was so quite you could imagine crickets chirping, as they do in any awkward moment in films.

Um's and Ah's were heard from around the tables.

'No' was the unanimous decision, Cleo could not tell her parents, at least not yet.

"Fine!" Cleo replied stiffly, "I'll wait"

That night Cleo and Lewis were going to dinner with Cleo's family.

Cleo knocked on the door then let herself in, Lewis following.

"Dad, Sam, We're here!" Cleo called.

They went in and plonked down on the couch. Sam pooped her head out over the kitchen counter

"Good, you're here" she said smiling. Kim and Don came down the stairs to meet them.

The family exchanged their greetings and chatted; sharing the latest gossip and news before sitting at the dinner table to begin their meal.

"Who wants drinks?" Kim questioned her sister and brother-in-law.

Lewis asked for a water and Cleo for an orange juice. As Kim came back to the table with their beverages she tripped sending water all over Cleo and Lewis.

Cleo gasped and ran upstairs to her old bedroom. She toppled over in the doorway, her tail in the hall.

'This can't be happening' Cleo thought

Lewis was doing his best to stop her family from coming up stairs but to no avail. She heard footsteps of her father coming down the hall...