Chapter 10

Chapter 10

That night Rikki lay awake, listening to Zane breathing beside her, thinking.

So, Dr Denman was back in her life again. She thought back to the first major encounter with the marine biologist.

Oh, there was so much that could have been different.

'If the three of us had used our powers on that metal grate instead of panicking, then we could have broken out' Rikki thought, 'If Emma and I had frozen and heated the metal weakening it, and if Cleo had then forced the grate open with a surge of water, the we would have escaped easily. Oh well' she thought with a sigh.

The Dock – a few days later...

As Lewis re-cast his fishing line off the edge of the wharf, he saw Denman on her boat, untying the mooring ropes.

'She must be leaving,' Lewis thought to himself.

Denman and her crew sailed out and disappeared over the horizon. After a little longer of fishing, Lewis packed up his gear and walked home.

Cleo was in the living room waiting for him.

"Lewis!" She exclaimed, obviously very happy to see him, beaming brightly.

Lewis returned the smile and moved over to hug her.

"Cleo, I have good news, Dr Denman may have left town!" He paused letting the information settle in. Once it had, Cleo said "Awesome! That means we can go swimming again!"

Lewis just smiled. She continued "I must tell the others."

Little did the group know but strange things would be to come.

All the mermaids and Ben eagerly rushed into the water, entering from Lewis' secret fishing spot, the boys staying on the beach. It was to be the first swim after a very long time, ages it seemed to them. (In reality it had only been about 2 weeks)

Once they had transformed Rikki sighed out,

"This is the life,"

The group sped off ducking and diving around through the water, the boyfriends just watching silently in awe. Will soon joined in, swimming off with Bella. Anna and Ben were swimming hand in hand quickly. After another five minutes Lewis and Ash also joined in, the heat on land was too much to bear. There was soon a full out splash fight. The girls made the biggest splashes, using their tails to make waves towards the guys.

After everyone got tired they relaxed in the sun warmed shallows. Soon the hunger kicked in. The guys decided to go and buy some lunch. Anna dried Ben off so he could go too. The remaining mermaids sped off to the depths.

Meanwhile- aboard Dr Denman's boat…

"…Five objects moving very fast about a kilometre from our location." Greg said

"Good, good," Denman said, "They took the bait," she paused, "Wait a sec, did you say five?"

"Yes…" he answered resignedly

"Hmm…" Denman mused, "I wonder where the other two came from…" As Denman contemplated this two of the objects dropped from the radar.

'The equipment must be faulty,' she thought to herself, happy that she no longer had to contemplate the improbable fact of there being more mermaids.

In actual fact Bella and Anna had swum off from the group going to the depths of the ocean, off the radar, and then back to the beach to dry off and eat – they were starving. This left the original three mermaids in the ocean, at risk.

"Hey wanna go to the moon pool?" Cleo asked

"Would it be safe…?" Emma asked uncertainly,

"Oh, come on, Em," Rikki said impatiently.

So then the trio swam off in that direction. They didn't know that Denman had moored her boat on the other side of Mako Island. Denman was already on her way over; she had seen them arrive on the scanner. She wanted to catch them in the act.