Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I hear an engine behind me; no! I try to run faster, I turn around and see the two black 4x4s coming closer ominously, I see the two story building that I had escaped from behind it. There must be many floors of basement, their secret headquarters inconspicuous among similar shaped buildings spread far apart in the rural area. They are gaining on me. Oh, I have an idea.

I stop suddenly, and turn to face the oncoming cars. I raise my hand.

Bang!

I used my powers to pop their tyres one after another. I continue running off, the pain in my ankle overwhelmed by adrenaline so that I don't feel it as much.

Is that a mirage? No, it can't be. Wait- I think it is real. Is that a river? I can't believe my luck; things couldn't be easier in outmanoeuvring my captors. I change direction, heading towards the large expanse of water. I dive in and with a flick of my tail, speed away to who knows where. As long as I'm safe I don't care where I'm going.

No one in particular's P.O.V (normal perspective)

"Where did she go?" Rikki left behind some very confused thugs.

Meanwhile...

The police had some leads as to where the missing girl and her captors were. The captors were currently still searching for Rikki, but everyone else didn't know she had escaped.

The mermaids had decided to swim to take their minds off the worry – it didn't do such a great job, but it was better than sitting around on land. Ben decided to comfort Zane along with the rest of the guys; Zane was still very much out of character.

Rikki was swimming quickly down a large river towards civilisation, away from her captors. They would never find her.

Rikki's P.O.V

I swam and swam until I came to a bridge – I think I am safe, I'm definitely at civilisation. I swim back the way I came until I think I'm out of the highly populated area. I pop my head out of the water; there are a few houses along the water front. No one is there. I swim cautiously to the shore, pulling myself onto the sun warmed sand, and drying myself quickly behind some trees, hoping to obscure any curious eyes from finding out my secret. I think this is the quickest dry I've done.

I got up and hobbled down the street, all of my adrenaline gone, the state of my body kicking in.

I stumbled slowly, one foot after another. I've got to find help. I've got to get home. I willed myself along. I came across a dairy, which of course I entered.

A/N: for those who don't know, a 'dairy' is a corner shop/store. It is the term for it in NZ.

The Dairy Shopkeeper's P.O.V

I hear the ding-dong of the shop door as someone enters. I look up briefly from my book. It had ben a slow day, and I had allowed myself some downtime. It talk all my effort to stop myself gasping at the sight I saw infront of me.

There was a young woman, probably in her early twenties with curly blonde hair tied loosly in two plaits. It looked like it hadn't been brushed in days. She was extremely pale and her shirt had numerous rips, all various sizes in it. Cuts, some deep and some shallow, littered her face, neck and hands. She was limping as she made her way slowly and faintly to the counter.

Just as she reached the counter, she buckled and fell over, toppling into one of the shelves. She looked as if she had been wrestling with lions.

I bolted up and made my way to the young girl who was now on the floor.

"Wake up, please wake up..." I muttered to myself.

Her eyelids fluttered and her eyes opened little while later. She sat up slowly.

"Where the hell am I?" she demanded weakly. I found this remark rude, but didnt say anything.

"You're in Grafton, New South Wales..."

Her eyes widened.

"Wow, at least thats not exactly on the other side of the country" I heard her mutter to herself.

"Whats your name, and what on earth happened to you!" I asked softly

"I'm Rikki," she managed to choke out, "And I just managed to escape my captors. I was kidnapped three or four days ago," she looked like she was going to pass out again,

"I havn't eaten in that whole time," she said weakly as if answering my puzzled expression.

"Oh my goodness!" I hadn't realised I was staring.

What should I do? I cant be a cold hearted woman and let her die, should I give her something, some charity?

I would simply call the police and they would know what to do.

"I'm going to call the police and an ambulance," I said to the girl – Rikki, "What was your full name darling?"

"Rikki Chadwick," she said hoarsely, still collapsed on the floor.

I dialled 000, and waited.

"What is you're emergency?"

"Oh, hi, I have a girl in my store claiming to be a 'Rikki Chadwick', she says she was kidnapped... she is in a very bad way..."

No one in particular's P.O.V (normal perspective)

The police and an ambulance came to the little dairy in Grafton. The shopkeeper explained her side of the story whereas Rikki was in such a bad way the raced her to the hospital. The interrogation of what had happened would have to wait.