Chapters 25 and 26

Chapter 25

6 weeks later...

Rikki was leaning against Zane's solid frame as they walked down the beach. Anyone could see the limp she walked with. Zane was caryying Rikki's and his own jandals.

A/N: For those who have no kiwi terminology at all; a jandal is a flip flop in kiwi land, or a 'thong'- isnt that underwear...strange people...

"So..." Zane began

"Yeah?"

"I became real love sick when you were gone"

"Yeah, you did," Rikki laughed,

"It means I can't live without you," he said in serious tone, "I love you Rikki."

After a long silence Zane spoke again.

"About the wedding..."

"Yeah?"

"I think we should start planning. Do you want white or simple?"

"Wedding aren't really my scene. I can try though..."

"So, white?"

She scrunched up her nose.

"Simple it is. I don't really mind as long as I get to marry you,"

"Aw that's sweet," Rikki said and they kissed lovingly.

Cleo's and Ben's birthdays had passed by without mishap as Rikki recovered. Her first swim after ages of having a broken ankle and tail was an event she would always remember. The thrill of the water rushing past as she flicked her almost fully powerful tail.

The 1st of October arrived.

Rikki's P.O.V

I woke up, my eyes still half closed and groggily looked around, I felt the bed beside me – Zane was gone. He came in holding a tray of my favourite breakfast, toast covered in nutella with sliced banana on it.

"You didn't."

"Oh, I did, and I'm not going away with it. I'm going to make this day wonderful for you no matter what you do."

Wow, he really sounded passionate.

"I guess I can try,"

He placed the food on my lap and then got into the bed beside me.

"Happy...whatever Rikki,"

I smiled. It took me a lot of effor but I managed to say, "Thank you,"

He took me to the movies and then out for lunch, leaving the cafe in the capable hands of our staff. For dinner we went to Lewis' secret fishing spot which within our group we had renamed 'Our beach'.

A picninc rug was set out and it had an array of food placed on it. There was a lot of chocolate – my favourite.

As we sat down on the soft sand I heard, "Suprise," It gave me an almighty fright and I nearly shrieked but stopped myself just in time.

"You shouldn't have," I said when they brought out the gifts. Zane gave me a new ipod touch to replace one that was taken off me when I was kidnapped, and a beautiful red necklace. Cleo and Bella gave me another mermaid statue to add to my collection. Though it wasnt voiced, I really did appreciate and like the ornaments. They had given me one every year since the first, each in a different pose. Everytime I said 'Thankyou' to the others, it obviously meant a lot, as they always seeme to brighten. Am I that hard to please?

Emma gave me a collection of mango juice icy pops – which I loved. They were SO delicious. She knew me too well. Everyone else got me assorted small gifts as they knew I wouldn't accept anything big.

"Thankyou guys," I said to them, hugging them all. They were suprised by this gesture, I could tell – but hey! Who cares right?

_______________________________________________________________________________

Chapter 26

A boatyard...About a month later...

"Please, please Rikki, please with a cherry on top! Just let me! It'll be a early birthday present" Zane begged like a little boy. She rolled her eyes.

"Fine, have your toy boat, but remember its not coming out of my money...or the cafe's for that matter..." She didnt get to finish as she found his lips against hers.

Another while later...

The group of friends decided to go and camp on Mako Island for a week. Everyone miraculously got to take the week off except for Bella. She managed to randangle three days however and would come and camp every night after work. Anyway, they were going to explore and swim and basically just have a fun time. They packed all their stuff into Zane's new boat. The mermaids swam over and met the rest of the guys on the beach to help carry ther stuff to the campsite. They spent the best of the afternoon scouting out a good campsite and pitching their tents. This week in particular was forecast to be sunny all week, perfect for the mermaid campers.

To get to their ideal spot there was a river to cross. The girls and Ben hesitated at this, they didnt really want to transform then have to dry themselves. Bella, learning from last time, handed her pack to Will, then created very large stepping stones to get across with. Fortunately everyone passed over safely; except for Cleo. Bella was talking to Will about the first time they were on the island together, and why she didnt come to of the water till Rikki arrived. This caused Bella to lose her concentration releasing the gelatine rocks just as Cleo went to take her next step – right in the middle of the river. This sent Cleo splashing in. It was lucky to have Anna and Rikki there; they quickly dried her off and the group went on their way again.

They arrived at the clearing that was going to be their home for the next week. There were four tents, each sleeping around three.

Sleeping Arrangements:

#1: Rikki, Anna and Bella

#2: Cleo and Emma

#3: Zane and Ben

#4: Will, Lewis and Ash

Each tent was pitched quite close together with space for a campfire in the centre. Each tent door faced towards the campfire. For dinner they had baked beans and sausages on toast (A/N: Watties all the way) then went to sleep. It had been a long day.