Chapter 22

Chapter 22

Rikki's P.O.V

It's now or never. Let's try something.

I spat on the ropes on my wrists. Using my power on the water, it cooked the ropes; steam rose up into my face. Ow, that hurts. I grimace silently, as the spit evaporates leaving the ropes weakened. Opening my tightly clenched fists, I jerk my hands up quickly, breaking the ropes. I free my feet. Ow, my wrists really hurt now. Rope and water burn - Way to go Rikki!

I get up from my chair as silently as possible.

Oh no! My muscles are so stiff; my joints click as I make my way painfully to the large metal door. I peep through the key hole. Good, piece of cake, easy lock to pick. I reach up to get a bobby pin from my hair. Damn! I forgot about the bolt. I sit down defeated. Ooh! I know. I'll wait for them to bring in my daily drink. They will open the door for me. I smile, my eyes sparkling. Genius, Rikki good plan, you're a genius. Once they've opened the door for me, I'll escape, boiling those who get in my way. Yes. I'm sorted. Just have to make the rest up on the way; for my desperate dash for freedom. Oh dear Rikki, when did you get so crazy, having arguments with yourself. Hmm, maybe it was when I was trapped in a silent, cold room for two days. Okay, self, stop arguing with me! Oh dear. I wonder if I'm a loony.

I waited for about half an hour. I didn't have a watch or other technological device, so I'm not exactly sure how long, but it felt like ages.

The door opened. Yes! This is my moment. I pushed the door hard; it hit a hard object with a bang. Hell, I hope no one hear that... The man was on the floor unconscious. Perfect. Some of the stale water miraculously managed to remain in the cup. It barely managed to satisfy my unbearable thirst. I searched his pockets for anything useful. Hmm, a key. That would most definitely be useful. I gasp silently; a half eaten chocolate bar. I gulp it down, but it doesn't satisfy my ravaging hunger. Ooh, a pocket knife, well this would certainly help me in my escape. I push that guard out of the door way to the corner of the room, and then pop my head around the door. There is a singular guard in the dimly lit corridor. Good. I start to heat his blood up slowly. He starts to sweat, and then passes out. I drag him into the cell I was held in. Too easy. I shut the door quietly behind me, bolting it shut. I crept down the hall. I take my slip on shoes off and leave them out of the way to make my movement silent. I power-walked down the hall, my muscles protested but I kept going. I came to some stairs. Okay. They had said we were down. The basement perhaps? There still aren't any windows. I look around me nervously and then race up the stairs.

Behind me I hear voices, they must have figured out I have escaped the cell.

I hear steps coming in my direction; this makes me quicken my pace. I see a guard coming towards me; it's a good thing that I know hand to hand combat. Living in the poorer parts of town with a whole bunch of bikers lets you pick up a lot of stuff. I ducked under his badly placed punch and quickly kicked him in the groin. This rendered him helpless, rolling around on the floor in pain. What alerted the other guards was his colourful language. Boy, did he need to have his mouth washed out. I ran quickly up another set of stairs, then another searching for an exit. I passed lots of doors and corridors with the guards on my tail. When I reached four floors up from my prison, some thugs stood in my way. I can't believe my luck. There are a few canisters of water beside one of the doors in the corridor. I began to boil the water, backing away from them, acting as if I was helpless. The water burst the canisters spraying all over the daunting men. They cried out in pain, giving me the momentum to rush past them as they were nursing their burns. Finally- windows; I can see blue sky; this means I can probably escape soon. There is no way I'll get to a door outside without being caught. I look out the nearest window. That's not such a bad drop...

As I looked out of the window across the landscape I realised I had no idea where I was. I could be on the other side of Australia for all I knew. Oh well, better get out first. I'll think about this later. I launched myself at the window, expecting for it to shatter...it didn't, I bounced straight back off it. DAMN! I try again, and then a third time. This time I break through, I feel myself falling down, down, down, it felt like slow-motion the sensation of stinging of small cuts made by the glass in my consciousness. I turn trying to get myself in the best position for impact. I hit the ground with a thud.

OW! I cry out in pain. That was more than just ground shock. Better. Get. Up. Can. Not. Get. Caught. I scrambled up ignoring the pain, not looking back I limp off in a random direction that I hope spells freedom and safety.