Chapter 8

GAH. Another short chapter. I have been so busy with college and work, I just wanted to get something out. But I am thinking I might start posting short chapters more often, instead of writing long chapters and posting every couple weeks! Dont worry, Ive already written chapter 9! It will be posted tomorrow. I love you all!

Chapter Eight

“You aren’t pregnant. The doctor called and said that you were just late. Stress can do that, you know.” Vane ran his hand down my back, drawing small circles with his fingers. “We have all of the time in the world to get pregnant. How would you feel about getting to know me? The real me?”

I smiled a bit sadly, unsure what else to say but, “Okay.” Vane brought his hand back up the back of my neck and squeezed gently, kneading the muscle there. I moaned quietly and leaned into his touch, eagerly seeking the warmth of his hand.

“What do you want to know about me?” His breath washed over my ear and I shivered. “You can ask me anything.” The way he whispered into my ear made me believe just that. I could trust Vane. I could very easily love him if I allowed myself to.

I thought for a moment, not wanting to ask pointless questions. “Why wouldn’t you kiss me before? Give me the truth.”

“Next question.” Vane’s voice came out strained, and his grip tightened. His hold made me wince to myself and then finally relaxed slightly. My heart raced in my chest, and I swallowed hard.

I pulled away from him and turned to face him, shifting my position on the bed. “No. Answer the question. Why were you testing me? What were you afraid of?” Vane’s face hardened and he looked away from me.

“I’ve been married before, and it didn’t end well. I don’t want to be hurt like that again.” He paused. “Kissing is just so intimate, so personal. I didn’t want to kiss you only to lose you, if that makes sense.”

Shrugging, I took a deep trembling breath. “I guess I understand. What happened with your wife?”

“She died a year after we got married.” Vane stared down at his left hand, caressing his ring finger gently. “We had been high school sweethearts. I remember seeing her on the first day of freshman year. She had been wearing a small white sun dress and had her red hair piled up on top of her head in a messy bun. All of the guy in the hallway had watched her as she walked to class, myself included.”

I reached out and laid a hand on his arm, watching his face as it twisted into a sad frown. “You don’t have to keep talking, Vane. I understand.”

“We got married right out of high school because she had been diagnosed with breast cancer. All I wanted was to make her happy, so I got married way too young. I don’t regret it at all, but I wish I had more time before marrying Melissa. I loved her so much, but looking back on it now, I don’t think I was in love with her.” Vane cupped my cheek and pulled me into a gentle kiss. “I don’t ever want to be in love. Love complicates things.”

I smiled and pulled him into another kiss. Pulling away, I chuckled. “It certainly does. I don’t think I want love either. Look where it got me.”

“Do you mean with Thalia? How is that going anyway?” Vane slid down the bed to recline back against the pillows, pulling me with him.

I relaxed into his hold and sighed contentedly. “She keeps calling me and leaving me voice messages. She seems really on edge lately, and set on getting me to date her again. I am just not interested. If you and I have a baby, maybe we can work on being a real family.” A wide smile broke out across his face.

“I think I would like that. Oh, and I can get you a new phone later, or at least a new number so that she can’t get ahold of you.” I smiled at him and nodded slowly, yawning quietly. “Are you tired?”

I nodded again. “Yeah, I have been exhausted lately.” I smirked at him, winking. “Not that I mind.” That was all it took for Vane to pull me on top of him until I was straddling his hips and falling forward onto his chest. “Hey! You can’t just throw me around like that. I am not a rag doll.” I laughed and placed my hand on his chest, pushing myself back up unto a sitting position.

“I can do whatever I want with you.” He growled, smiling as he pulled me down into another heated kiss that sent tingles down my spine. I moaned and wrapped my fingers in his hair, tugging eagerly as I parted my lips. His tongue snaked past his lips and against mine, his hands gripping me tighter. “And I will.”

I giggled and continued to kiss him, sighing happily. “I can see that, but I think maybe we need to grab lunch before we do anything. I am starving.”

“I can make you lunch,or we can go out. Your choice.” His smile made my heart thunder even harder in my chest. He looked so handsome, so perfect.

I thought about it and rolled off of Vane, falling beside him. “I think I want to just stay in. I am still not feeling very well.”

“Alright. Does enchiladas sound good? I need to have Vivi go to the store.” Vane continued to stroke my hair, smiling fondly at me as I nodded. “You can stay here in bed. I will go get lunch started.”

I leaned in and kissed him again, moaning into his mouth. “Are you sure you don’t want to play with me before lunch?”

“If you eat first, we can burn the calories later.” He said, chuckling to himself. “But if you really want to play first, get over here and ride me.”