Chapter 20

Jason stretched out on my couch, his head bleeding profusely from the gash above his eyebrow. He had a blackened eye, and he had been limping when he walked. Vane returned from the kitchen with an ice pack, water, and some pain pills. Jason took the pills quickly, after painfully pushing himself to sit up.

“Do you want to tell us what happened?” Vane asked, sitting next to me across from Jason. He took my hand in his, giving it a reassuring squeeze. I frowned slightly, but quickly refocused on Jason.

Jason sighed and held the ice pack to his eye. “I don’t know exactly what was happening. One minute, I was talking to this guy and the next four men were beating me to a bloody pulp. When I finally got back up, I saw a woman handing one of them a wad of cash. I wasn’t aware that hate crimes were still around.”

I stiffened, and rage suddenly seemed to fuel my actions. “That fucking bitch.”

“Woah, sis. Calm down.”

I stood and wrapped my hair in my fingers. “No! You don’t understand. Thalia is upping her game. Since she can’t get to me, she is out to hurt anyone close to me. Jason, you need to be careful. Stay away from public places as much as possible.”

“Sin, what are you talking about?” Vane gave me a look that sent chills down my spine.

Furious tears spilled down my cheeks. “She wants to be with me, but she knows I love you, Vane. I have told her several times to leave me alone, that I was happy. And now she just won’t relent. She had men attack my brother! What’s next? Is she going to attack you? Or even me?”

Vane wrapped me in his arms in an attempt to calm me down. “Baby, please… Jason can stay here and we can have one of the employees run whatever errands he needs done.”

“I can’t do that. I have a job. I will have to go to work five days out of the week.” Jason said, giving me a small smile.

“Then my driver can take you. You are my fiance’s brother. It is now my duty to keep you safe as well, until we can solve this situation with Thalia.” Vane kissed the top of my head, and I couldn’t help but bury my face in his chest.

Jason smiled a little. “Fiance? So you guys are getting married? I am really glad to hear that. After what happened, I wasn’t sure if you guys would ever get back together. But I am happy to see that your relationship is stronger than I gave you credit for.”

“What can I say? I love your sister.”

I smiled, even through my tears. Hesitating, I looked up at Vane. “I will be back. I am running to the restroom.”

“Okay, babe.”

I quickly let go of Vane and went upstairs to the restroom, leaving the men to talk. As soon as I locked the door behind me, I pulled out my cellphone and dialed Thalia’s number. She answered on the first ring. “Sinclair, what a nice surprise.”

“You hurt my brother.” I snapped, clutching the edge of the sink with one hand.

“No, I didn’t. Silly Sin, I’m smarter than that.”

I clenched my jaw harshly. “You paid someone to hurt my brother. Don’t act stupid. It doesn’t look good on you.”

“I told you you could be happy with me.” She paused. “After all, the longer you delay coming back, the more people you love will get hurt. First was Jason, and Vane will be next.”

“You wouldn’t do it.” I dared, staring at myself in the mirror. “You wouldn’t hurt someone you love like that.”

She laughed. “I would if it meant getting what I wanted.”

“You will not touch him, or anyone I care about again.”

Another pause. “Or what? What is poor little Sinclair going to do?”

I knew what I would do. It was the only thing I could imagine doing, and even now I was tempted. “If you ever put your hands, or hire anyone to harm anyone in my family again, I will kill you.” I heard her intake of breath to call bullshit. “I swear on Keegan's memory that I will kill you. I might anyway.”