Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Vane held my hand tighter, giving me a gentle smile before leaning in to kiss me softly on the mouth. "Are you alright?" The corners of his eyes wrinkled slightly as he watched me carefully, looking for any hint of discomfort. "You are a little stiff."

"Yeah." I whispered, leaning in to capture his lips with my own again. "The turbulence is just making me a little jumpy."

He grinned even wider. "I'm sorry. But just think, in three days you and I will be married and then we will have all of the time in the world to enjoy being together. I love you. You know that." His hand slid down to unbuckle my seatbelt and he pulled me into his lap. I smiled sheepishly at him and ran my hands through his hair, watching as he closed his eyes contentedly.

The plane shook again and I clung harder to him. "I think I need to get buckled back in. As much as I love sitting on your lap, I think I need to sit in my own seat."

"What if I don't want to give you up?" He grinned at me and stood up, walking to the back of the jet. "Would you feel safer if I tied you down to the bed?"

My stomach flipped a little, but I didn't know if it was from excitement or fear. "Um, I don't think so. I am definitely not in the mood for this right now."

"I don't believe you." He opened the door to the cabin and carried me inside, slamming the door shut and dropping me on the bed. "I think you want me. I think this excites you."

I started shaking, watching him closely. "I really don't know, Vane. I'm terrified and we are flying over the damned ocean."

"Fear can make you feel ten times more pleasure than you can even imagine..." He trailed off and winked at me. I just laughed at him and crawled backwards towards the headboard. "You can't run from me, Scarlett."

"Oh hell yes, I can." I snapped, glaring at him and moving to get up off of the bed. He grabbed me and pulled me to him again, this time pinning my body under his.

He smiled at me lovingly and kissed me. I sighed and tried to relax into him as much as I possibly could. I kissed him back, wrapping my arms around him as if it would shake away all of my doubts and fears. His hand caressed my cheek and I felt the tears well up in my eyes, threatening to spill. I pulled away from him. "Vane, please don't." I whispered.

"Sin, what's wrong?" He suddenly looked panicked, pulling away slightly.

I shook my head, blinking away the tears. "I just want to enjoy being with you. I am tired of the stress and being afraid."

"Afraid?"

I sighed and looked him dead in the eye. "I've hired a hitman... Don't say anything. Don't. I mean it. Just... trust me."

Vane got off of me completely. "Sin, what have you done?"

"I am protecting us. That is what I have done. I didn't have another choice. Do we want to live on edge for the rest of our lives? Do we want that for our children?"

Vane's eyes hardened. "Call it off."

"I can't." I whispered.

He shook his head. "It looks like you're going to have to. If you want me, call off the hit. We will not live this kind of life. We are not these people. Call it off!" His voice got increasingly louder and I hesitated.

"Please don't make me."

He turned to leave the room, lingering at the door. "You have a choice to make, Sinclair."