Chapter 24

Chapter 24

What was I supposed to do? A crazy woman was out to ruin everything that I had and the man I loved wanted me to take the high road. Of course he did. But what did he expect for us to do the next time she tried to harm either of us, or God forbid, any children we would have. The only valid option was to have her killed, right? It's either kill or be killed...

I sighed. Vane wouldn't see it the way I did. He would tell me to be the better person and let the professionals handle it. But what if something happened before I could get the police involved? It would only take one confrontation for someone to end up dead. So what do I do?

I picked my cell phone up and closed my eyes as I pressed call back. I was going to regret this. "Hello?"

"Hey, it's me. There has been a change in the plans. I need you to call your people off." My heart was beating hard in my chest.

There was silence on the other end of the line for several seconds. "I can't do that, Miss Simmons. He's been paid and has purchased a burner phone that he has been ordered not to call me from unless the job has been completed. I don't even have the number for safety purposes. I'm sorry."

"Wait, there has to be a way I can find him. Please. If he goes through with this, I will lose everything. I will lose Vane." I was ashamed of my desperation.

"Miss, I can't help you from halfway across the world. However, I can tell you where he is probably spending his time waiting for his target. That's all I can give you."

My stomach churned violently. "It's better than nothing. Please, I need to find him."

"Alright. Give me a few minutes. I'll call you right back."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I quickly walked into the bar, looking around for a red-haired man with a scar that covered his left eye. I didn't see him so I approached the bartender and pulled out my I.D. to prove that I was legally old enough to be in the bar.

"I'm looking for someone. He is a red-headed man with a scar over his eye. He's a heavy drinker, so if he's been here he's probably run up his tab."

The woman looked at me while she poured whiskey into a shot glass. "You're looking for Red. That's literally what he said his name was. He was supposed to take me out tonight, but he left a few hours ago and never came back. So much for that."

I cursed under my breath and thanked her. She wouldn't know where he went. It would be a waste of time to ask her pointless questions. I looked around once more, only to end up more frustrated. "Fucking shit." A man nearby raised his glass in my direction and smiled, but otherwise made no contact. I left. There was no need to stick around.

I walked out into the alley behind the bar to head back towards the rental car that I had parked half of a block away. A shadow moved out of the corner of my eye and my head snapped to the side to find what had moved. There was a dead body. Upon not-so-close inspection, I could only conclude that it had to be Red. I screamed.

I dialed his boss as fast as I could, who answered on the second ring. "Hello."

I screamed louder, panic beginning to bubble up inside of me. "He's dead! Red is-"

The phone was slapped out of my hands and the screen shattered as it slid across the concrete. A pair of hands grabbed my wrists and pinned them together behind my back, easily resisting my struggling. Once the attacker got both wrists into one hand, the other covered my mouth with tape. He had been prepared.

"Our boss is waiting for you. It would be rude to keep her waiting." I fought against him, knowing exactly who he was working for. I would rather be dead than in her grasp again. She was one step ahead of me, and it had cost someone their life. I pushed back against the man, trying to get myself some leverage, but the attempt was in vain.

Vane was right. I shouldn't have done this. I should have taken car of this the right way. Death only resulted in death. Now nobody would be able to find me. 

Author's Note--

Woot. Another chapter. It's short, I know. But it's something! (: