Chapter 10

Chapter Ten

“Congratulations!” Thalia threw her arms around me the moment I opened the front door. I winced and pulled away, feeling somewhat suffocated and shocked that she was even at Vane’s home. I briefly wondered how she found the address. Surely she wouldn’t have someone track my cell phone number…

I laughed humorlessly and let her hug me before I finally broke contact. “Um, thanks. It’s a little soon for any celebration or letting anyone know. How did you-”

“I am sure that Vane is very happy with you. Afterall, that is all he wanted, right? He just wanted a baby and a built in babysitter.” She gave me her famous wicked smile that she reserved for her most hated rivals. “Anyway, I got you something.”

She held out a yellow bag and gestured for me to take it. I very carefully opened the bag and pulled out a baby doll. “What the hell.” I threw the doll onto the ground and stepped back into Vane’s house, staring at the vandalized doll. It’s hair was chopped in random spots, and the eyes were scratched out. I turned my head away, stomach rolling slightly. “What the hell is that, Thalia?”

“I don’t know what you are talking about. I thought it was… cute.” She laughed and turned on her heel, looking over her shoulder at me as she walked back to her car.

I slammed the front door and screamed to myself, anger pouring through me. I punched the front door twice, ignoring the throbbing pain in my hand. What had she been thinking? Was she insane? Who vandalized a baby doll and gave it away as a gift to a pregnant woman?

“Sin, what the hell are you doing?” A pair of arms wrapped around my waist and pulled me back into a warm, hard body. “Your hand is bleeding.”

I groaned and tried to push away from him, rage just coursing through me. “Don’t touch me. Don’t fucking touch me.” I broke away from him and turned around, breathing heavily as hot tears streamed down my face. “I can’t believe her. Why can’t she just leave us alone?”

“Who, baby? Thalia?” Vane reached forward and cupped the back of my neck, pulling me to him again, despite my attempts to keep my distance. “What did she do to you? Was she here? Is the baby okay?”

I nodded and buried my face into his chest, nose pressed against his freshly ironed blue button up. “S-she-” I sobbed and then caught myself, taking a deep calming breath. “I don’t know why I am so upset. She didn’t try to hurt me, or even hint that she would. I just get upset so easily.”

“You are pregnant. You have the right to get upset.” He kissed the side of my head and sighed. “So what did she do?” I gestured toward the front door and he moved away from me to open it. I watched him as he reached down to scoop up the doll and his expression went cold. “I’ll take care of this.”

I swallowed hard and sighed. “Thank you.”

“You have a meeting with a potential client. They are looking for a one of a kind wedding dress, and I recommended that they come to you.” Vane smiled at me proudly, the dall dangling from his fingers next to his leg.

I frowned and shook my head. “I have never designed a wedding dress. I don’t really think that I have what it takes to design for a wedding.”

“Of course you do. Sinclair, you can do anything you put your mind to.” He kissed me briefly and flashed me another smile. “Now scamper upstairs and get ready for the driver to take you to the office.”

* * * * * * * *

Willa Burton thrust her hand out in my direction and gave me a wide smile. “Hello, Miss Simmons. I am so happy that you could meet with me today. I heard that you and Mr. Hanson are expecting. Congratulations.”

“Thank you.” I answered, shaking her hand before sitting down into my chair and opening my journal. “So tell me, what exactly are you looking for in your wedding dress?”

Willa smiled and hummed in thought. “What would you want in a wedding dress? You look like a woman with an eye for design, fashion, and customer satisfaction.”

“Well, I would suggest maybe a tradition style gown with lace and beading. Perhaps a strapless style?” She smiled and nodded, but didn’t respond. “Where are you getting married?”

She reached into her briefcase and retrieved a portfolio. She quickly flipped through the pages and landed on a page that contained a picture of a beach with white sand. “We have planned to get married in Destin, Florida. The beaches there are beautiful and my husband loves to drive to Panama City every time we visit.”

“That’s nice. So what do you think about a mermaid style? You have a slim figure and it would look amazing on you.” I watched as her eyes lit up and she smiled to herself.

Her eyes travelled down to her lap and she played with her fingers. “Are you looking forward to when you and Vane get married? You two make a beautiful couple.”

“Oh, we aren’t getting married. We are just raising our baby together.” I gave her a tight smile, feeling my heart squeeze in my chest.

“I don’t think so. I can see the two of you getting married some day soon. It would be best for the baby. Don’t you want him to grow up with married parents?”

I chuckled. “Him? I’m not that pregnant yet. But you might have a point. I wouldn’t be against marrying him if the situation ever occurred, but its off the table right now.”

“Anything could happen. You know that. Even that little bundle of joy is something that just happened, right?” She gave me a knowing smile and leaned back in her chair. “Anyway, back to the dress.”